Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Competitions by invitation only.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Olivia Grand
    It has been brought to my attention that to compete in various competitions i may need to be invited.

A thread i am having banter in regarding bolt together robots, (Very amusing thread i must say ) a contributor to the discussion has said to fight a spinning robot i need an invitation.

This to me seems quite odd. Surely televised competitions should be the result of elimination rounds and not if someone is in favour!

Can you imagine the outcry in the Olympics if the people representing the countries were only there by invitation only?
    I feel this needs clarification to everyone.

Team Olivia grand Imgur, are designing and building a robot as we speak which will be able to neutralize the effects of an inertia weapon and the shape. (I.E Spinners and cheese wedge)
    If it is an invitation only criterion is it time to pack up and go home?

Your thoughts please good people.

http://www.robotwars.tv/faqs/

There you are, simply apply and get going - if your build is as good as you believe it is and Mentorn are of the same idea you get to compete....no drama!

I would suggest tho, that before you start building you consult the rules closely especially since you mention you have devised a way to neutralize spinners and wedges...

There is no need for a clarification.

The only arena in Europe capable to contain spinners is the one used by Mentorn/BBC to film the TV show Robot Wars
    To get into the TV show, you need to apply , and if you're good enough, you'll get invited.

This was so since Robot Wars was filmed for the BBC , way back in 1997 to 2003, and now again in 2016.

And, since it's a show, not only probable effectiveness, but also aesthetics and (in some cases) how "interesting" the design is are counted in.
    For example
    http://www.robotwars.tv/competitors/.../sweeney-todd/ <-- way too light, thin armor, weak weapons, and basically a block of steel.
    But it could move sideways, making it somewhat innovative/interesting.
    Or Nuts. I don't think anybody expected them to survive the first heat, but they had googly eyes and bright colours, costumes, and gave a show and some amusement.

So yes, some of the criteria are not about what bots are the strongest.
    But i guess the pure competition has to get sacrificed a bit for making it interesting to watch.
    After all, that's quiet a bit of money in the arena (and for the arena itself) and everything, someone has to pay for it. So they need commercials. So they need people to watch the show. And not only Techfreaks, but they have to make it interesting for someone just zapping through.

But after that, when the Show has started, it is pure competition, the strongest survive.
    So good luck, if you've got something innovative it's quiet possible they'd take you in for season 3 (i think rumors say march 2017).
    But yeah, being able to use them is a big factor considering spinner heavys.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsler View Post
    Or Nuts. I don't think anybody expected them to survive the first heat, but they had googly eyes and bright colours, costumes, and gave a show and some amusement.
    Should point out Nuts is one of the top robots in the UK. Currently ranked 5th in the FRA standings.

However regarding sweeny todd ect, you are right. Similarly other rather weak robots caught the productions companies eye, however interest was lost in them when they mentioned their intention to upgrade themselves to modern specs.

The best way to get into the sport is start in featherweights. Feathers allow all weapon types several times a year (including spinners). Also having a scale model to show is enough for the production company to see proof of concept, its cheaper and tbh for a newcomer its heavily recommended by many in the community to not start with heavyweights unless you have prior experience - Sweeny Todd was built by a team of qualified individuals..... and being fair what they came up with isnt even a legal heavyweight.

With regards to getting selected for the TV show, remember this - do you think the Apprentice candidates are really the best business minds in the country? i decided to go to an audition for a laugh, and i can guarantee personalities are chosen above all else. They just want a plausible backstory and from there experience is not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Runsler View Post
    This is, at the end of the day, an entertainment show. The future of our hobby on TV depends on it being entertaining. So we put effort into that. This is not, a strict straight forward competitive tournament, because often that wouldn't be good TV.

So they need commercials. So they need people to watch the show. And not only Techfreaks, but they have to make it interesting for someone just zapping through
    This is the BBC.... They don't have commercials.

Build the robot you want to build, and don't worry about TV or any other considerations - Robot Wars the television show is fantastic, and everyone wants to be on it, and it provides a good impetus for me to keep progressing with Swift.
    But robotic combat as a sport was here before the show, and will be here long after it's gone, so my advice is honestly just to focus on whatever idea or design or weapon makes you happiest. Remember, it's meant to be fun

On its way to 5th in the UK it KO'd Dystopia and left it in a condition where until i could get spare parts it was highly temperamental.

Olivia Grand
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.
    I cast my mind back to an earlier show of Robot Wars.
    A robot had protection made out of MDF. This was promptly neutralized in the arena.
    I was wondering at the time why a robot of such a build was allowed to compete. Surely that would never have made it through any elimination rounds.

Register To Comment