Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brushless motor for feather spinner?

Brushless can be pretty cheap tough.

The motor used in Valkiri 2 and 3, aswell in Surveyor and DX11 was the £40 540 gram Hobbyking NTM5060 combined with the £30 Hobbyking SS190-200 ESC.

I don't think anybody will call Valkiri3 underpowered in the weapon.

Feather spinners are very common, you just don't get to see them at the HW live events, but I can assure you there are more than you think :-)

Sadly the NTM 5060 that Maddox uses is no longer for sale. However you can get the NTM 4258, and that would be more than enough to spin a 2kg weapon on a 4:1 ratio, maybe even 3:1. Use the same ESC and you are off. (Just be careful!)

I personally use a Scorpion HK 5020, cos I am crazy, and my Dad's machine has a Scorpion 4035! But you will find many motors that deliver around 2000-3000W in use.

I use a scorpion 4020 in my featherweight, its quite a bit less powerful than Alex's motors but it runs off 6S so I can use one battery to power the weapon and the drive, while Alex has multiple batteries to give the drive and weapon their rated voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    However you can get the NTM 4258, and that would be more than enough to spin a 2kg weapon on a 4:1 ratio, maybe even 3:1. Use the same ESC and you are off. (Just be careful!)
    I just looked on the Hobbyking website, it says the NTM series is an outrunner. Does that make secure mounting difficult?

Not for me. The front plate has 4 M4 mounting holes.

I reïnforced those with Helicoils.

One other thing I was interested in finding out. Assuming the weapon weighs around 2kg, what would be a good outer rim speed? I'm wondering what the lower limit would be, since gear ratio and weapon diameter would affect it significantly.

It really depends on the diameter of the weapon. For a drum that might be 100 to 150 mm, a typical speed would be 6,000 to 8,000 RPM (double that if you are Alex). A large diameter horizontal bar might only be 3,000 RPM and still do plenty of damage.

Ok. As for the motor, do you think this would suffice? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ner-motor.html

Register To Comment