Register To Comment
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log | Caractacus - Any Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Roboteernat View Post
    Glad your recovering

My axe is run from a 150w? scooter motor through a 2 stage chain gearbox giving 5:1 ratio, so not powerful, however it was rnning from a 30 amp electronize esc - as i didnt have a spare TZ85a esc.

It was stalling allot during my time at ER 3 fights, and didnt suffer, nor did the ESC get warm.
    thats my insight into it if its any help.
    Thanks a lot for the reply! Was very helpful Just one quick question, did you wire it up the same as a drive motor (forward on the stick changes speed) or did you do like a servo type setup (stick position is the same as axe position)? (Hope that makes sense!)

Thanks again

EDIT: Just found your test video on you forum post lol it looks like you are doing the former xD but if you could confirm would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by willcaddy; 23rd August 2018 at 23:50. Reason: Found your test video lol

I understand.

I had no feedback from the motor position, so stick forward is drive motor forward, back, drive motor back.
    The only thing stoppuing it from going further was the chassis/floor.

a video of it running is on the build log: http://www.fightingrobots.co.uk/thre...ld-of-fw/page8 first post on page 8.

Im using a servo tester to control the motor ESC so i didnt have ti wire in the TX.

EDIT: just seen your edit and that you found the vid
    Last edited by Roboteernat; 24th August 2018 at 11:25.

Thanks a lot You have been awesome

Can i just ask one more thing, did you use a brushless or a brushed scooter motor? I don't mind getting a 85A ESC of either type but just wanted to make sure which was best for the axe xD

Thanks again!

Hello everyone!

The robot is really coming along now and with loads of great advice from Roboteernat its finally nearing completion xD

Just a few questions remain which i would love to get all of your input's on!

Firstly I have read that Hardox 450/500 is the go to for a hard wearing axe head so I would like to use that but I just wanted to get your opinions on what design i should use? Is a hatchet style blade beneficial verses a pick axe style blade? I would have thought a smaller point would pierce better but I see a lot of robots going for a wider blade. Your thoughts?

Also along that train of thought, Is there anything i should be aware off when using something like Fusion 360 to design the blade and export it for cutting? (also any recommendations on where to go to get it cut? xD)

The other thing is I went with the BotBitz 85A ESCs and I found out from Roboteernat that the original ESC these are based off of has been discontinued. I hear the FeatherTwo's from Rory are pretty darn good so i was pondering switching the ESCs out for a FeatherTwo and using the one BotBitz to drive the axe motor.

Again any thoughts/recommendations on that idea and other brands of ESC?

I will post a link when i upload the latest video of what im doing too if you guys are interested

Thanks in advance!

Will

about the Head styles, they each have benefits. a point delivers the energy to a single point allowing you to make holes in materials but will wear quicker than other styles. a bladed axe (like Terrorhurts) has a smaller point to deliver energy to and will wear better than a point but it will not make holes. A hammerhead will wear the best but will deliver the energy to the larger area. TBH design something that looks cool or fits the theme of the bot (for me a hammerhead)

About Speed controller, a BB80 may be your best bet now as Rory has stopped making the single channel feathertwos, and getting a duel version to run the hammer is a waste.

Thank you for the advice xD i think i will have a play tonight

And i was actually thinking of using the dual FeatherTwos for drive and switch out the BotBitz ones and re-purpose them for the axe. What do you think? I shall also look at the one you recommended thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxamuslead View Post
    About Speed controller, a BB80 may be your best bet now as Rory has stopped making the single channel feathertwos, and getting a duel version to run the hammer is a waste.
    Sorry to be a pain! but do you have a link, I am struggling to find the controller you recommended

Thanks again

Hello everyone

Unfortunately due to not being able to get a suitable speed controller in time I have decided to just make a push bot for the Cheltenham Extreme Robots to get a bit of experience and know what to expect for the next one. I do have some ridiculous ideas in mind though for decoration so watch this space xD

Just a few questions about safety. Firstly, I know the robot must have an LED on show when its on but I'm curious to see what some of you guys have done for yours? It's running off a 6s LiPo so regular LEDs would just fry but I saw in a YouTube video that Angus (now part of Makers Muse) used a connector and plugged it onto the Spektrum receiver with a resistor in line. I'm not really sure if this is a good solution or if there is a simpler one out there?

Secondly, Where abouts have you guys put your removable link? I know it needs to be able to be put in and pulled out with the robots top on (giggidy ), but I'm worried about it being pulled out mid battle. Having said that the loop on mine is rather long so is this just as simple as making it shorter? lol Would love your feedback Its going to be a fairly boxy robot because I plan on using the base and top panel again in the final axe robot so i was thinking of maybe putting it in the same place as Crabsolutely Clawful on the back wall of the robot?

Again any suggestions is most welcome and thanks a lot!

Will

Team Kaizen

Firstly, I know the robot must have an LED on show when its on but I'm curious to see what some of you guys have done for yours?
    For my Middleweight, I wire two LEDs in series directly into the main power wiring, each with with a 24v resistor in them so that each only uses 13.2v (from my 8S LiFe setup).

Secondly, Where abouts have you guys put your removable link? I know it needs to be able to be put in and pulled out with the robots top on (giggidy ), but I'm worried about it being pulled out mid battle.
    I put mine on the top of my Middleweight, works fine though I have a short loop and some raised side armour to prevent robots directly attacking it. On my featherweight, I put it on the rear, at the top of the robot so whilst you couldn't directly attack it, it would get damaged if flipped on its back.
    Team Kaizen - Build Diary for all the robots

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
    BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
    FW: Azriel
    MW: Jibril, Kaizen

Register To Comment