Register To Comment
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log | Caractacus - Any Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Team RCC has a few Turnigy's in use. If the mAh and C rating is chosen well, no problem.
    Thanks a lot :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lowndsy View Post
    Wireless Madness have a bunch of batteries that I haven't seen anywhere else. Not heard of the brands, but they were good for my rc gear the batteries have the connectors for balance chargers too which I didn't spot on the cheaper ones.

I was going to string 2 x 7.4v (for a 15V motor) together, but they have some 14.8 V ones that look tasty. What do people think of this one?

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/peak...ector-pek00554
    Thanks xD

Just as a side note so im not doing anything dense lol but if you run 18v drill motors then the machine runs at 18v right? As apposed to doubling it to 36v (2 x 18v drills). I think I know the answer but just making sure ha ha!

Thanks again for all your help :-)

Did a bit of concept art while I am waiting for parts to arrive xD

Its not to scale or anything xD but let me know what you think and any suggestions :-)

Thanks again xD
    Last edited by willcaddy; 27th October 2016 at 23:12.

Yep, 18v

Hey guys,

Did a video of the first step of the build!

I intend to go on to speed controllers next.

Let me know what you think!

Just a quick question, do you think the BotBitz 30a Brushed ESCs would be good enough for a featherweight robot like this or do you think bite the bullet and go for the BotBitz 85a Brushed ESCs?

Thanks a lot

Will

The 30 amp ESC's will do the job for a 2WD machine with batterydrills.
    But once you go for more power,like using Ranglebox Saturns, or the old style Groupner Speed 900 it will get iffy.

The Tz85's have proven to be rock solid, so I would suggest to bite the bullet.

It's also easier to find replacements during life events, as a lot of UK feathers use the 85's.

Hello again everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    The 30 amp ESC's will do the job for a 2WD machine with batterydrills.
    But once you go for more power,like using Ranglebox Saturns, or the old style Groupner Speed 900 it will get iffy.

The Tz85's have proven to be rock solid, so I would suggest to bite the bullet.

It's also easier to find replacements during life events, as a lot of UK feathers use the 85's.
    Thanks a lot for your reply! Sorry I have only just replied, I forgot at the time like a pleb ¬_¬

Its been a little while because of christmas and stuff but I would just like to ask some advice on the Turnigy ESC's.

I saw this post about reprogramming the Turnigy 85a ESC's to work with the Spektrum DS6i. Being as It is taking a little while to get the BotBitz 85a ones I was wondering if this is a worth while thing to do to save time and money or is it better in the long run to wait and get the BotBitz purpose made ones? Also if so could these be reprogrammed again to work with brushless again if the need arises?

I'm eager to get started thats all but just wondering if its worth being patient and getting them off of Ranglebox.com or should I go for the reprograming option with the Turnigy ones?

Hope that all makes sense xD

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Will

Absolutely. I bought the TZ85s straight from Hobby king along with an Atmega programming tool, which means you don't have to solder the programming wires on. Just make sure you leave all three output wires on when you convert to brushed, and you should be able to revert back to brushless just fine, so long as you have a hex file for it.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    Absolutely. I bought the TZ85s straight from Hobby king along with an Atmega programming tool, which means you don't have to solder the programming wires on. Just make sure you leave all three output wires on when you convert to brushed, and you should be able to revert back to brushless just fine, so long as you have a hex file for it.
    Oh, awesome thank you xD I didnt even know something like this existed!

Just to make sure its this speed controller and this programmer isnt it?

Also what usb AVR flashing tool would you recommend?

Thanks again

Will
    Last edited by willcaddy; 29th December 2016 at 21:05. Reason: Forgot to ask about the AVR tool xD

That's the one. Make sure you get a suitable LiPo and connectors.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    That's the one. Make sure you get a suitable LiPo and connectors.
    Thanks mate, I will do

An interesting thought occurred to me while looking up clutches for my old nitro car. Would a nitro engine be:

A) allowed in robot wars
    B) powerful enough

My reasoning is that unless you have a 2 stroke engine you are liable to stall if flipped upside down. Would a little nitro engine with its extra power from the fuel type be a worthwhile thing? Sounds like a cool idea thats all even if its not a good idea ha ha

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks again

Will

Register To Comment