Register To Comment

Thread: RobotWars group cluster entry

Hi,
    With new series of RobotWars announced I was thinking how I'd like to enter but don't have the time to get a heavyweight together by the deadline (as I'm at Uni).

But then I got to thinking building a 27kg robot could well be possible and somewhat reduce the cost, the idea would then to be find 3 other people who wanted to do the same and enter as a team as a 4 part clusterbot.

I doubt it would be the most competitive entry and obviously the entry might not be accepted (but you don't see many 4 way clusterbots- perhaps for a good reason though!)

I still need to work out how feasible it is to get the parts required into 27kg and how much it would all cost but thought I'd test the water and see if the was anyone else who'd be interested in doing this?

I guess you'd be looking at a slightly heavier lightweight bot, x4. I can't imagine splitting up your systems so much is an easy thing to do, but maybe if they all pushed in the same direction, you might be onto something? Problem is, I can see them flying miles after being launched by modern flippers, those designed to throw 110+ kg robots. I really like the idea, but getting something like this to work, or even get past the first round, sounds like it might take even longer than building one solid heavyweight.

Absolutely, if you want to be 10kg over the weight limit

The problem with clusters is that each part of a cluster ends up costing as much as a whole HW in its own right if you want it to survive facing a machine twice its own weight.

The machining costs are doubles, part costs are doubled, material costs are doubled etc. While your system of splitting the build would work, you end cost would be much the same just across 4 people, which would be the same as building 1 robot with 4 people.

Provided all 4 machines have a consistent theme, design and looks it would have a chance. If you are careful it might be 50% more, but I'd just be cautious in assuming it will cost you less.

Do it! Always good to have different machines and entries in the arena. No point everyone building a wedge.

My thinking was that obviously the entire entry would cost more than a single heavyweight but it costs double a normal heavyweight, each person then only has to pay half of what a normal entry would cost.

Also as each part of the cluster is only 27kg it can't have all the features of a full heavyweight, so one might have a decent heavyweight drivetrain but no weapon (reducing costs), one might have spinning flail things with a decent spinner motor but then only use a set of Saturns for drive (reducing costs), one perhaps could have a small pneumatic system with maybe an upwards facing spoke to get under other robots then attempt to puncture their base but again have a lighter duty drive. And as each robot is smaller they will use less armour and smaller chassis reducing material costs.

Gary: first I need to find 3 other people who also want to do it!

This is the kind of thing I'd throw a post on reddit and the various facebook groups. You will almost certainly find others interested. Of course how many of those actually follow through is another matter but I think it's worth a shot and because it's so different you would have a very good chance of being picked for the show.

Yeah I'm tempted to do that but as you say you run the risk of getting people with no experience who might say they'll do it without understanding what is involved leading to them not finishing their part of the robot. Obviously it would be quite annoying if 3 of the robots get built and then the fourth one isn't finished in time.

But for anyone with experience building feathers it should be a very manageable step to build a 27kg robot.

Register To Comment