Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Robotics Build Diary - Flat Damon

So are you 4wd, one dual esc for each side?

Yep, original plan I had years ago was the chassis and pushing power of Tornado with the scoop of Behemoth. But instead of pneumatic, hydraulic powered like Panic Attacks forks. Unfortunately Luna-tic looks like a Shockwave copy now.

Ellis's (the lad that built Pulsar) Youtube videos he made when building his feather Tormenda have been really helpful.

Suppose I should add, this featherweight isn't hydraulic. Thats saved for a heavyweight of the same design. Going to start that next year. This has been a first project to learn the skills I need and to make all my mistakes before tackling a heavy.

Just for reference, Panic Attack ran electric linear actuators for their weapon. Not as powerful as hydraulics unless you buy fancy expensive ones, but much easier to implement, maintain and understand if hydraulics get too complicated

ha, never knew that about Panic Attack. Just assumed it was Hydraulics by (what I thought was the ram). With Shockwave using electric motors for their scoop I have started thinking about alternatives. I have a hydraulic shop very near, so going to pop in when I get serious about building a heavy and speak to them. But to be honest my thought always comes back to flipping over house robots.

People I speak to about my bot think I'm nutz not going Pneumatic, But I want the control Kim Davis had with Panic Attack. With CO2 its bang and big flip. I want to be able to control how high I lift my opponent. Enough to get their wheels off the ground and push away.

So it looks like I'm an idiot and bought the wrong esc. I thought I could pass both outputs of my signal mixer through the dual esc and it would just share the power, but it looks like both motors would need to be on the same side of the bot.

Back to the drawing board...
    Last edited by lowndsy; 16th November 2016 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by lowndsy View Post
    So it looks like I'm an idiot and bought the wrong esc. I thought I could pass both outputs of my signal mixer through the dual esc and it would just share the power, but it looks like both motors would need to be on the same side of the bot.

Back to the drawing board...
    Can you put up a photo of your setup? If you are using a mixer AND a dual ESC which may have inbuilt mixing you might be mixing it twice. Or even 3 times if you also have mixing on your transmitter. But I may have the wrong end of the stick but its hard to tell without seeing.

Sorted! 2X Botbitz 30A on the way, job done!

My transmitter is a pretty basic gun style (I prefer them) 3 channel unit that definitely isn't mixing. I thought the Quicrun esc I bought would either mix or at least take two channels of input, but it only has one 3 pin input and Chris a few posts up is using the same one to drive two motors on the same side of his 4wd bot. It's ok, I can always find a use for it later on.

I'll post a pic of what I have anyway, perhaps use tins of beans in place of the bits I am missing.

Steve
    Last edited by lowndsy; 17th November 2016 at 09:28.

Video done, Its just where I'm at and explains a few things I've learnt so far. Anybody more in the know please correct me.

And this is how she runs at the moment.

Register To Comment