Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Featherweight Robot (Beginner)

Ok, first things first, what plastic are you using? Folks around here tend to suggest HDPE, it's super resistant to impacts and can be machined with basic woodworking tools (that is, saws and bits intended for wood). What batteries and motors did you order? Could use knowing what you've already got before commenting. For me personally, finding adequate wheels to fit to the motor shafts was a problem, you'll want to give that some thought.

I don't think those motors are suitable. The standard for featherweights would be something that completes with http://ranglebox.com/product/saturn-...etary-gearbox/ mated with this http://ranglebox.com/product/775-18v-motor/. The Saturn 16 & RS-775 combo has approx 1375rpm at 8.5Nm of stall torque. The motor you've mentioned is 330rpm at 0.025Nm stall torque.

Typical batteries are 5s (18.5V nominal, 21V fully charged) lithium polymer packs from hobbyking or OptiPower.

My normal recommendation is to come along to an event and check out what other people have done. Unfortunately there will be a bit of silence at the moment as everyone collectively panics about RobotWars. Your best bet is to read through the build diaries.

Awesome. I am doing exactly the same thing, and made pretty much the same decisions as you - flat wedge, mainly plastic. I am in two minds about doing a lifter for my first bot - might just use all 13 kilos on a really solid pusher. We should totally have a battle when we are both done.

I think I'm a couple of weeks ahead of you so let me know if you have any silly newbie problems that I might have already come across.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 24th October 2016 at 10:19.

I'm not sure where you've been shopping, but HDPE is really cheap on Ebay in comparison to other armour materials. If you're really struggling, you can even melt down plastic milk bottles and make your own HDPE sheet. I don't think I've ever seen polystyrol as a sheet, but my best guess is that it probably isn't good enough because I've never heard of it being used before.

As for batteries, mine is a 5s 3300mAh battery, rated for 65-130C discharge. My build is still in progress, but it's seemed adequate so far.

Is polystyrol the clear sheet they sell in Wickes as glazing? I'm new to robots but OK at science and I think it would shatter too easily when hit. It might be OK behind something else for extra bulk, but not as standalone armour or anywhere it could take a point impact.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 24th October 2016 at 19:29.

Register To Comment