Register To Comment

Thread: Dx5e?

DX5e would be fine as a first transmitter on a budget. Fail-safing is done by the receiver so no need to worry about that. It has full dual stick controls: so Elevator, Aileron, Rudder and Throttle, as well as a single Auxiliary - So that is your 5 channels.

Its main draw back is that it has very limited mixing capabilities, it can only take 1 model at a time. You might have to cough up more money for a mixing unit that goes in the robot for example, and you would need to rebind and reset the fail safes every time you changed models.

Personally I'd look at a 2nd had DX6i, or a new DX6. Transmitters tend to hold their value better and the new DX6 is more robust. That said its a big price leap and keeping it simple first time is a good idea. Up to you, just some things to consider

Another thing you might consider is known as 'Single Stick'
    http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...o_Tx_39_s.html
    Which adds a knob to one of the sticks. Why is this useful? If it controls your steering, it works the same way regardless of which direction the Robot is pointing.
    I found this invaluable flying Helicopters - much less chance of getting confused!

It's easy to add to any radio with a bit of 3D printing / fabrication & wiring up.

I have a 9XR Radio - and expected it to be rubbish based on the price, but it has continued to impress! I bought it as a spare - and now use it most of the time as (for me) the sticks have a nicer feel than the Spektrum.
    Looking now, it's half the price I paid!
    http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...t_module_.html
    My favorite feature is the Telemetry - your robot (or Heli) can send data about battery, temperature, status to the transmitter and have it displayed. It also has voice alerts "Low Battery" for example which respond to the telemetry - so you don't have to look at the display to know what's happening.
    Last edited by bigsi; 12th September 2016 at 13:56.

Register To Comment