Register To Comment

Thread: Driving Electric Scooter Motors

Hi All,

Thanks for you time in advance.

Bit of a noob here, was wondering for some advice, I've been looking at these scooter motors:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-W-48V-D...-/151373055761

also I found this motor from the taobao site (its a chinese site)
    https://world.taobao.com/item/191870....9lOTUl#detail

with these truck trolley solid rubber tyres:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-10-YELLO...oAAOSwPcVViWQM

I was thinking of using two motors in my bot. My questions:

1) General thoughts on these motors?
    2) Any suggestions regarding an ESC that would work well?
    3) What would i need to mount the sprokets to the wheels for them to be driven?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1) Some teams were experimenting with them. I believe experiments were going well but you would have to find the specific teams and ask. I think they were opting for the 36v versions as 48v controllers are more difficult to come by.

2) Ragebridge 2 jumps to mind as a fairly low cost option for them. Your other options include, wotty (made by ian of bigger brother / orte), vantec, roboteq. I think there was also another brushed controller that was a custom made job kicking around on the forum but the name escapes me.

3) If you are planning on using the bearings in the wheels and having dead axles then bolts with some tube collars on them should work to hold them on. Depending on what sprockets you plan to use you could remove the bolts in the wheels and use the same holes to bolt it all together with some longer bolts and the collars on the bolts. This would also allow you to easily drill out matching holes in the sprockets.

I built Big Bully using a pair of the 36v 1kw motors. Seem to work quite nicely, though the sprocket could do with welding on as the D shaft starts to round out pretty quick.

we used those wheels on Carbide- did the job OK, but sicoflex them onto the rim's, or the hubs will just spin inside the tires as there not held in very well.

TMHKW uses simular motors, and those are OK.
    I liked them, except the wire coming out, that's too stiff and too thin.

The wheels look useable.

No idea for a 48V controler.

Yeah, after experimenting with the same wheels you'll need something to stop them foam tires spinning in the hubs other than the force of friction applied from the bolts keeping the two halves together - the foam also stinks something rotton for a few days.

As for ESCs you could go down the OSMC route (up to 160A) - they technically go up to 50V (though recommend a battery voltage of 36V max?). Currently in the process of redesigning it so the MOSFETs are on bus bar for increased current handling capabilities. The issue with them however is you need a separate controller to drive them but the component costs from either Farnell or DigiKey are about £60. Wouldn't recommend though if you're looking for something that works out the box.
    Last edited by Nilchaos; 7th September 2016 at 10:10.

How has your build gone? What components have you choose too? I'm looking the same motors and set up.

Register To Comment