Register To Comment
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration/innovation in weaponry

Quote Originally Posted by adamclark View Post
    Apparently to give new robot designs a chance. Plus increase in weight for shufflers and walkers. I imagine using entanglement is more likely to stop drums as you can only use a metre of rope/chain/Kevlar etc. But probably still useful against spinners. RW wants more innovative weaponry, like robots that pick up other robots and use them as shields or have pneumatic spikes and can invalidate Newtonian physics.
    Do you have a link for that?

@overkill it's in podcast form, but it's a good one.
    https://soundcloud.com/insidethebot/...r-james-cooper

Thanks, that was very interesting!

As a highly biased Spinner builder . I am not sure if entanglement will produce interesting TV, even with the limitations mentioned. It wasn't mentioned if the entanglement rules applied to feathers or just to the heavies - does any one know more about that.
    Last edited by overkill; 14th March 2017 at 23:21.

I would assume that any general rule for the heavies also goes for the feathers. Still I don't think spinners have been as big a problem in FW right? Not completely dominating as such.

That's true, the flippers have dominated for the past few years. There was talk of raising the FW arena's inner walls last year, which would be relatively easy to do. An alternative might be to borrow from the Sportsman rules and limit the flipper width to a percentage of the bot's width (which would really annoy several teams ).

Personally, I just updated my application form to have an entanglement device as an optional 2nd weapon.

Just thinking ahead, it would make really boring matches if spinners also had effective entanglement weapons - fights would end up being pushing matches if both weapons were disabled.
    Last edited by overkill; 15th March 2017 at 00:54.

Share the solution? I've got a sail winch feeding 50cm of hawser with a fish hook on the bench at the moment. Also it's 1m per bot so minibots with 1m total each could be interesting

The caveat was that any entanglement devices could not be woven cloth/chainmail/nets. I don't think fabric would be allowed, even in strips.

Register To Comment