Register To Comment
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration/innovation in weaponry

Just listening to this.

Applications must be in by 20th March.

I have a collection of bits and ideas, an engineering company sorting out a couple of spindles and shortening my hydrolics oil tank.

Should I actually apply or just wait for next year?

That could work. I think I'd need to see it to understand fully how though.

In the podcast, the Coopers specifically said no woven material, nothing net-like, no chain mail - that definitely covers lumberjack clothing IMHO. You still have many other options to try.

One thing people haven't mentioned is how entanglement will work against other types of bot: I don't see passive entanglement doing much against flippers / axes / crushers etc - just hoping they will drive over your entanglement and suck it up around a wheel is a risky strategy. Another requirement is to have the entanglement device detachable so that the bots are not locked together; the anchor points will have to be much weaker that the main device.

I updated my FW entry to RW with an optional secondary entanglement weapon but I don't really expect much from it.

That's how it is supposed to work
    might need a bit of adaption, but the concept is easy: many fine but very strong fibers (so aramid or something similar), let the spinning thing catch them, maybe even cut them, doesn't matter. then they'll wrap around any rotating anything, and since they are stronger than what the motor could possibly tear apart, everything get stuck.

way less effective the bigger the diameter of the spinner is and the more the spinner relies on one-hit-K.O.s (Tombstone for example would likely just hit once, damage you really badly, and have some lametta on the tip of his blade if you're not very lucky and this lametta can find it's way into the weapon drive system). but specially vs vertical spinners who have smaller diameters (like Pulsar)... Or bots with the spinner somewhat less exposed, so the fibers won't fly away and get caught easier (like carbide, or maybe even into the drive of PP3D and other undercutters)...
    Guess it could work there.

Even though these fibers are so thin, even if not woven they will somewhat stick together, you won't go and brush your armor, would you? so maybe this is at least stretching the new rules a bit, and looking at the mess this causes i really hope nobody uses it.
    Once had to clean a chainsaw from this stuff after accidently just gently brushing my leg with it. took quiet a few hours and a lot of swearing. Imagining the arena would be full of this stuff afterwards... i don't want to clean that.
    But i like to try and think about the boundaries of what is possible and/or allowed, and this fits there, i think^^ If no other use, it might at least detect possible weak spots in the rules, so we don't get something like complete control did in Battlebots 2015... better make sure the rules are as defined as possible before any event
    Last edited by Runsler; 15th March 2017 at 22:22.

And you would have to prove that none of those fibres was over the length limit

Quote Originally Posted by team death View Post
    Ispinners tend to take an age to speed up, its the nature of getting that heavy weight disc
    to maximum revs
    Not anymore! Some still do and some drivers like to be cautious on the acceleration ramp, but PP3D can get up to highly damaging speeds in about 3 seconds, Carbide probably similar if not quicker.

seeing that chainsaw covered in fibres reminds me of what to do if confronted by leatherface from the chain saw
    massacre movie-make sure you're wearing a heavy wool jumper a Wooly hat and wool long johns-multiple layers
    if you have time
    Last edited by team death; 16th March 2017 at 22:35.

No but seriously......
    Musing about walking robots and the lack of them in competitions.
    I have an idea that you could use overhead camshafts from an engine to push down on
    cam followers and maybe little rubber feet-this would be classed as a walker because the drive is linear rather
    than rotary or tracked, there would be a puzzle about reversing the motion but forward left
    and right are easy enough and if the rule is as before that your'e allowed 200kg -thats a lot
    of weight to play with for weapons and armour ect - the patter of all those tiny feet on the
    arena floor would be amazing, I won't have time to build it myself but its a free idea for someone

Register To Comment