Register To Comment
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration/innovation in weaponry

Yep, lots of reading to go through. Looks like will be starting with a map and some dead reckoning and then looking out for wall elements and trying to map those onto the map to refine the position and build up the map. Now working with 6 sonar and 6 PIR to arrive as its simpler at the moment to detect movement for testing. Eventually thats just software, am I moving Y/N, has the sonar distance changed Y/N etc. Knocking up a chassis topped with a wok next

IMG_0900.jpg

In addition to the sonar and PIR , we are adding in a VL53LOX laser distance sensor. These look very good on paper. 2m range and millimetre accuracy @£10 price point. 2 of these on a hammer bot I would imagine would guarantee a "hit now something is there" detector. Obvs the walls would trigger it but cheaper than the $200 lidar modules like chomp has VL53L0X

I've just built up a VL53L0X module and it seems very very accurate and fast. Its laser and calculates TOF and seems to be millimetric accurate up to about 200cm and only £10. Two of these spaced apart and if both detect something in range, then fire. That would make sure that something was therefore in the middle. Combine it with the IMU and you could make sure it would only fire on the level and not start hitting at the floor if tilted etc.

vl53lox.jpglaser.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by adamclark View Post

Always hankered after the idea of climbing onboard and then extruding metal wire into the interior of the robot.
    Attachment 6180
    Basically a form of the Harlequins Kiss made real for any 40K fans
    http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Harlequin's_Kiss

Looks like the option of injecting/feeding steel wire or spring steel is now a viable option with the rule changes allowing some forms of entanglement

Apparently to give new robot designs a chance. Plus increase in weight for shufflers and walkers. I imagine using entanglement is more likely to stop drums as you can only use a metre of rope/chain/Kevlar etc. But probably still useful against spinners. RW wants more innovative weaponry, like robots that pick up other robots and use them as shields or have pneumatic spikes and can invalidate Newtonian physics.

I recall when exterminator got thier axe stuck in the 6mm thick plywood lid of immortalis-they were well
    immobilised until the ref bot stepped in-just goes to show cheap soloutions can be effective and wood
    in the words of Mr Foxwell is well underated.
    Notions on a spinner stopper -hardwood-application and specs undisclosed

Ideas coming at record speed now-spinners tend to take an age to speed up, its the nature of getting that heavy weight disc
    to maximum revs-so what about a brush head offensive system-could be rubber or bristle to slow down those spinners bits
    with a bit of luck may even fly into thier mechanism/drive and cause jamming but because its not deliberate you get away with it.

Register To Comment