Register To Comment
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspiration/innovation in weaponry

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Colin Scott
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recall when exterminator got thier axe stuck in the 6mm thick plywood lid of immortalis-they were well
    immobilised until the ref bot stepped in-just goes to show cheap soloutions can be effective and wood
    in the words of Mr Foxwell is well underated.
    Notions on a spinner stopper -hardwood-application and specs undisclosed

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Colin Scott
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ideas coming at record speed now-spinners tend to take an age to speed up, its the nature of getting that heavy weight disc
    to maximum revs-so what about a brush head offensive system-could be rubber or bristle to slow down those spinners bits
    with a bit of luck may even fly into thier mechanism/drive and cause jamming but because its not deliberate you get away with it.

Status
    Name
    Nick Martin
    Robots
    Mr Mangle - Australian 2015 Featherweight Champion 2016 UK Gladiator Shiny Scissorhands Decimator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adamclark View Post
    Apparently to give new robot designs a chance. Plus increase in weight for shufflers and walkers. I imagine using entanglement is more likely to stop drums as you can only use a metre of rope/chain/Kevlar etc. But probably still useful against spinners. RW wants more innovative weaponry, like robots that pick up other robots and use them as shields or have pneumatic spikes and can invalidate Newtonian physics.
    Do you have a link for that?

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    David
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a crazy amount of experience fighting robots made from wood. It's awesome. Hardwood for lids and bases and softwood like 2x2 for sides. When spinner blades hit it they just bind up and slow down. As mentioned, the technique that works well I find is just a wall of softwood and keep bullying said spinner so it never gets to spin up. I will works brill.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Rory Charlesworth
    Robots
    [AW] Anty-Clockwise [FW] Aegis
    Post Thanks / Like
    @overkill it's in podcast form, but it's a good one.
    https://soundcloud.com/insidethebot/...r-james-cooper

Status
    Name
    Nick Martin
    Robots
    Mr Mangle - Australian 2015 Featherweight Champion 2016 UK Gladiator Shiny Scissorhands Decimator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that was very interesting!

As a highly biased Spinner builder . I am not sure if entanglement will produce interesting TV, even with the limitations mentioned. It wasn't mentioned if the entanglement rules applied to feathers or just to the heavies - does any one know more about that.
    Last edited by overkill; 14th March 2017 at 22:21.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Rory Charlesworth
    Robots
    [AW] Anty-Clockwise [FW] Aegis
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would assume that any general rule for the heavies also goes for the feathers. Still I don't think spinners have been as big a problem in FW right? Not completely dominating as such.

Status
    Name
    Nick Martin
    Robots
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's true, the flippers have dominated for the past few years. There was talk of raising the FW arena's inner walls last year, which would be relatively easy to do. An alternative might be to borrow from the Sportsman rules and limit the flipper width to a percentage of the bot's width (which would really annoy several teams ).

Personally, I just updated my application form to have an entanglement device as an optional 2nd weapon.

Just thinking ahead, it would make really boring matches if spinners also had effective entanglement weapons - fights would end up being pushing matches if both weapons were disabled.
    Last edited by overkill; 14th March 2017 at 23:54.

Status
    Name
    Jan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most interesting thing about these limitations on entanglement for feathers is, if the length stays the same.
    One meter is much more on a feather than on a heavy.

Depending on that i might have an idea that really could stop anything from spinning within these limitations and is a ready-to-buy-solution.

Status
    Name
    adam clark
    Robots
    VOA, Armadillo, Corporal Punishment, CP2, Mangulator, Twister, 259, 259MW, Wowot, The Skinner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Share the solution? I've got a sail winch feeding 50cm of hawser with a fish hook on the bench at the moment. Also it's 1m per bot so minibots with 1m total each could be interesting

Register To Comment