Register To Comment
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Inspiration/innovation in weaponry

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Plumber View Post

So wheels it is. If the TV makers want a walker then let them make one as a house robot and we can see how it should be done.
    I remember seeing these toy insects on the apprentice programme a few years ago and I was quite impressed, they moved at quite a speed for thier size and I believe they worked by just vibrating - I'm thinking if you scalled it up to a heavy and could control the direction it would brilliant-the basics could be a compact whacker plate set in a frame with wooden or
    metal legs around - could be vibrated by a camshaft again-feelers could come out to change direction-an insect head
    with a flipping tongue to finish the look-different yes

a bugs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by team death View Post
    I remember seeing these toy insects on the apprentice programme a few years ago and I was quite impressed, they moved at quite a speed for thier size and I believe they worked by just vibrating - I'm thinking if you scalled it up to a heavy and could control the direction it would brilliant-the basics could be a compact whacker plate set in a frame with wooden or
    metal legs around - could be vibrated by a camshaft again-feelers could come out to change direction-an insect head
    with a flipping tongue to finish the look-different yes

a bugs.jpg
    I know a guy who is making this very design...

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    So would anarchy's walking mechanism be considered a shuffler by today's standards?
    Yes, Anarchy is now classified as a Shuffler.

A bristle-bot would gain you no weight bonus at all, not to mention the issues with getting the thing to reverse, a total lack of traction, how fragile the legs would be...
    Last edited by Eventorizon; 23rd March 2017 at 19:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    There are reasons why we have the weapons we have, and why they have evolved to the point they are at now. Rather than trying to think of different or new weapons, I think people are better off finding different ways to deploy or use the current class of weapons
    Noooo. Current builders tend to stick to using the current class of weapons for their robots and finding different to ways to deploy them, but if you discourage new people or those with a different outlook from thinking of new or creative weapons, then the game will stagnate and become less interesting as everyone sticks to tried and tested. Those looking for and experimenting with new and different creative things are what helps drive the sport forward

Also bearing in mind the increasing number of contestants anything that appears outside of the box is going to stand a great chance of at least getting into that first 4-way melee. Materials might have changed over the years, but I still see mega expensive contraptions fail at the first hurdle. My current temptation is either a shuffler drillzilla drive with a mahoosive drum, a hoard of 100+ minibots or a unique four legged walker if I could ever work out how to scale up a servo to HW size.

I remember when my team and I attended auditions for series six of Robot Wars-we had a petrol driven spinner called
    devil-rider, the competition auditions had hundreds of good quality heavyweights applying and as I stated
    in my Memoirs of a veteran Roboteer we failed to get through the auditions-I agree with Adam and Jamie
    if your aim is a tv viable robot its going to have to be different -sadly a lot of those robots from the early
    noughties were scrapped and interest was lost waiting in vain for series 8 many years later.
    Don't dismiss new ideas-polyprop legs and body on a walker-they seem to take a bashing even if
    it seems to be in the wrong thread-still Inspiration fits the bill if not weaponry

IMG_2112.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2114.jpgIMG_2115.jpgIMG_2116.jpg
    Above is an ongoing project (stopped by a certain TV program ATM) the Idea was to make a Feather walker robot on the old double weight rules it is not easy with double allocation with the 2 degrees of freedom rule.
    With the silly weight advantage now in place, a viable featherweight robot isn't possible ATM.

Register To Comment