Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ion Systems - Build progress log

Having pulleys at different heights around the can will make belt driving the one gear much easier. Have a look at micro-V belts; they have excellent grip without needing much tension and the pulleys are no harder to make than a regular V pulley, particularly if your lathe has a DRO.

This is going to be great, you've been looking at 'The Ringmaster' bear in mind the ring will be super costly to make. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe01 View Post
    This is going to be great, you've been looking at 'The Ringmaster' bear in mind the ring will be super costly to make. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished beast.
    Yeah last quote we had was ~£1300 for just the hardox part

Lots of progress since the last update (mostly prompted by the ridiculous timescale).

We have now finished the armor design and how to do the teeth on the ring.

Triforce.jpg

Now just to work out how all the internals will be mounted!

Our application should be in on Tuesday.

It looks like a demonic Oreo

You could make the teeth stronger and easier to mount with a small alteration to the ring:

If you add some ramps (light grey) around the teeth to form a flat bottomed pocket, the teeth will be easier to fit and weld to the ring and should be a little more resistant to tearing out.

you should try sponsorship from Oreo's

267543-oreo-biscuits.jpg

+1 for demented swirling murderbiscuit. =]

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    It looks like a demonic Oreo

You could make the teeth stronger and easier to mount with a small alteration to the ring:

If you add some ramps (light grey) around the teeth to form a flat bottomed pocket, the teeth will be easier to fit and weld to the ring and should be a little more resistant to tearing out.
    For some reason i never thought to cut the ring with flats on it lol.

Are those ramps part of the cut ring i take it?

Yes, I just made them a different colour to make it more obvious the ring was thicker.

I'd really just dump the omni drive system and go conventional with 2wd. You've got enough of a pain in the arse building a ring spinner powered by brushless motors.

Register To Comment