Register To Comment

Thread: First ever robot with no experience =D

Hi everyone,

What an incredible resource this is! I've been a fan of Robot Wars since I was about 8 years old (and, more recently, Battlebots).

It had never occurred to me to build a robot before, because I always thought it would be hugely expensive and I'd not have the space - seeing those 100+ KG robots on television, I presumed that was the only way to go about things.

Having spent a few days browsing and now having signed up, I'm excited to learn there are Antweights and other really light weights that could make the hobby more affordable and beginner friendly.

Being totally honest, my only real experience is building PCs/Laptops and programming HTML. I've no experience in electronics (beyond what I did at school - basic soldering and circuits). So, I realise I'm light years behind the majority of you guys.

However, I'd really love to get started. I've got 2 days a week off work until Christmas and feel that a robot could be just the thing to fill that time.

What I was wondering is whether anyone had a 'shopping list' for an affordable robot that is beginner friendly. I realise that is a huge ask, but I'm presuming it's going to be tough to find a kit for a robot that is within the weight limits? Anyway, in terms of the robot... It doesn't need to be overly impressive, it's more important for me to learn the basics and have something that teaches me how I 'could' swap or improve certain aspects of the robot for future projects.

Thank you all so much in advance, I realise this post is a bit light on details, but I really do look forward to engaging with this community as time goes on.

Best wishes from Somerset,

Marc

Tea/coffee and bacon butties, first on the list!

Heya, if you're after antweight you should hop over to the RobotWars101 forum, that's where all the antweight building happens!

This is as close to a kit as there is in ants without just buying a fully working robot:http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2187

Register To Comment