Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Robot Wars Series VIII - Week 5 Discussion

??? I beat beast fair and square I presume you mean Gabriel vs beast . I still find the decisions strange but have accepted them

I carry no bad feelings for Craig or Ellis in fact both are great people and good machines

But please ensure the posts are accurate

Quote Originally Posted by adz600 View Post
    ??? I beat beast fair and square I presume you mean Gabriel vs beast . I still find the decisions strange but have accepted them

I carry no bad feelings for Craig or Ellis in fact both are great people and good machines

But please ensure the posts are accurate
    Very sorry Adam, my mistake, total brainfart. Yes I did mean Gabriel, edited the post and re-reading it it sounded a bit like a jab at Craig, which is completely not the intention, so added a bit there too. Thanks for pointing that out!

I loved the episode, and I honestly don't see the controversy (I had no idea it could be even construed as controversial until I saw the thread...). If anything, the fair and consistent application of clearly defined rules made me worry if Mentorn had been replaced by some sort of anti-Mentorn!

I hope I didn't imply that I thought the show was unfair - I didn't mean to if it came across that way. What I meant was that the there was a heck of a lot of stuff going on that wasn't exactly clear-cut. Anything like that, especially a robot coming back from defeat, is something that I would see as a point where controversy could arise. Personally as I said, I think Pulsar won fair and square overall, and this is fairly clear now given the responses in this thread. But whenever it comes to a contest not being as clear as one robot defeated the other and is still running at the end, I can always see room for someone to disagree with the decision made.

I'd also like to take this point to advocate for the judges in this case. I feel like people (not necessarily here, but on the internet in general) disagree with their decisions regularly. And while I'm not saying people are wrong in each case, the judges chosen for Robot Wars aren't stupid by any means, and they know what they're talking about to some degree. So I'd like to have a little faith in the decisions they make unless given clear evidence to the contrary. By all means feel free to think what you like, but that's my stance on it.

Again I and a lot of other people who are cleverer than me saw nothing to even be construed as a fix! Ellis won because the judges said so, these are professors in robotics and similar they are not going to be swayed by the production staff.

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    Again I and a lot of other people who are cleverer than me saw nothing to even be construed as a fix! Ellis won because the judges said so, these are professors in robotics and similar they are not going to be swayed by the production staff.
    Just while I'm here. Good sportsmanship btw. (although I would certainly be willing to send someone's bot home in a bin bag during the finals to entertain - as I would expect of them)

I was just wondering have you considered what might help make your weapon more effective on the attack if RW is back on next year?

Hi I'm always looking at improving the weapons on all my robots and have some things in the pipeline.
    with all axe bots either electric like mine or pneumatic like Thor, the amount of energy you can in practice put in is limited.

When Gabriel hits another robot you can see it lift off the arena floor as the force of the impact travels through to the wheels and causes the tyres to break away from the arena surface. the only way I can increase the load is to increase speed of the rotation or better grip tyres. I'm looking into both!

When Thor operates it's weapon when the hammer swings it lifts the robot off the floor with the centrifugal force! Beta has had to resort to lots of interesting stuff to stop this from happening.

Don't think the sword does no damage the pictures below show DM with damage from one blow from stand still from Gabriel. the sword actually cleaved a slot in it's head.

13823625_10209974271495510_1541894303_n.jpg

13823687_10209974268055424_274995415_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    Hi I'm always looking at improving the weapons on all my robots and have some things in the pipeline.
    with all axe bots either electric like mine or pneumatic like Thor, the amount of energy you can in practice put in is limited.

When Gabriel hits another robot you can see it lift off the arena floor as the force of the impact travels through to the wheels and causes the tyres to break away from the arena surface. the only way I can increase the load is to increase speed of the rotation or better grip tyres. I'm looking into both!

When Thor operates it's weapon when the hammer swings it lifts the robot off the floor with the centrifugal force! Beta has had to resort to lots of interesting stuff to stop this from happening.

Don't think the sword does no damage the pictures below show DM with damage from one blow from stand still from Gabriel. the sword actually cleaved a slot in it's head.

13823625_10209974271495510_1541894303_n.jpg

13823687_10209974268055424_274995415_n.jpg
    It is harder to notice that watching the fight on TV I suppose. People are using some really tough armor these days that can take a tough blow.

Register To Comment