Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Robot Wars Series VIII - Week 5 Discussion

I think this was a good show and I'm happy with the way Gabriel stood up to 2 very competent spinners. Gabriel went 3 long minuets with both and was going at the end of each fight, this meant we were hit again and again with their weapons at full power and Gabriel took it!
    When they fought each other one or two hits and the fight was decided.
    BTW if anyone asks John Reed did some calculations on the power of Gabriel's sword and it comes up about the same as THZ and Thor!
    I know there are speculations about interference from the production company, but I didn't see that, and those like Grant who were involved in the program at all levels didn't either and I trust him. I would say there were some communication problems that could be interpreted as something but I believe that would be wrong. The judges in my opinion did an excellent job and I took the time to thank them for it.

It is that massive swing that gives it all that energy. It is also why I love driving stinger, you can feel the power in that mace when swinging it.

Chompy is a great machine but I think the force at the tip is only about 1 tone, 3 at the ram I could be wrong but about that, the structure of Gabriel is designed to take far more than that,
    if you watch the program almost immediately they fell into the trap,they grabbed the body of Gabriel, we let them get a good grip then drove them straight into the house robot Dead Metal I think. the plan worked very well, as to grip Gabriel they had to lift the front off the arena floor over 300mm up in the air their wheels were probably off the ground we can push them anywhere we wanted. flippers can't flip crushers can't grip and spinners well we went 3 minuits with both none of the others did that even when they fought each other!! Gabriel

drawing random names out of a hat and reading them out

been there, done that

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass View Post
    Chompy is a great machine but I think the force at the tip is only about 1 tone, 3 at the ram I could be wrong but about that, the structure of Gabriel is designed to take far more than that,
    if you watch the program almost immediately they fell into the trap,they grabbed the body of Gabriel, we let them get a good grip then drove them straight into the house robot Dead Metal I think. the plan worked very well, as to grip Gabriel they had to lift the front off the arena floor over 300mm up in the air their wheels were probably off the ground we can push them anywhere we wanted. flippers can't flip crushers can't grip and spinners well we went 3 minuits with both none of the others did that even when they fought each other!! Gabriel
    Gabriel would be unbeatable in an annihilator-style contest.

Was a little disappointed that Toby wasn't driving at any point; That kid's vicious behind the controls! :P

He did have a go in a friendly

Quote Originally Posted by adamclark View Post
    drawing random names out of a hat and reading them out

been there, done that
    Sorry I have no idea what your talking about

Quote Originally Posted by bigsi View Post
    I take back what I said about this series compared to the old RW's - that was a complete fix!

Pulsar was undoubtedly a good, innovative robot but to be allowed back in after the first round, followed by a series of judges decisions which went the opposite way to what we expected, sadly, stinks.

Previously when one robot has pushed another into the pit and fallen in themselves, it has been the one which went in the pit first that is out. It was obvious from the start that Pulsar was the one the producers wanted in the semi finals.

Very poor show
    I'm sorry if you think we didn't deserve the wins. Personally, and the irony that I might be biased is not lost, I think the various decisions would have been far more controversial had they been reversed.

More importantly, if the producers wanted to give us an easier road, they definitely wouldn't have awarded full points to Gabriel against Beast (nothing against you here Craig, the points were deserved, just making the association!) and they wouldn't have left us with an entire fight less than everyone else to score points. It feels like you might want the show to be rigged, because you seem to only be absorbing half of what actually was shown.

Believe me, I am fully aware of the drama here. Don't think for a moment that I haven't been apprehensive ever since the event - of all people who should be worried if Pulsar's run was rigged, it's me. And I'm very happy to say, I sincerely don't think it even remotely was. The effort I and my parents put in to keep Pulsar running was very real, and I think anyone at the event can vouch for that.

---

Regardless, I think this episode was excellent. It really shook up the format and everyone I have seen discussing the show agrees it was a real thriller. Fight against Gabriel is possibly my favourite fight (competed in) ever, I can't wait to do it all again!
    Last edited by Ellis; 23rd August 2016 at 19:24.

Register To Comment