Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie with a question

Hi Will

As you saw, the best place to start is the Build Diaries and reading through the posts in the corresponding weight class. There is no point in building a Lightweight in the UK though as no one has an arena to run them. The most common starter classes in the UK are Featherweight, Beetleweight and Antweight, and once you get there you can build a Heavyweight.

Springs have been used in the past but not recently. They will pack less of a punch than pneumatic weapons but I can see them still having enough power to flip opponents or even toss them out the arena. It would be great to see a spring based flipper! You would also have the advantage of, pretty much, unlimited flips, where as a pneumatic robot probably has a max of ~25 flips in a fight (That is a total guess, but its limited regardless)

There are teams based in Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham so you are not the only person in that area. I'm a little further north near York. I am sure some one on here will be close enough to give you a hand if you need it.

Good Luck!

Regarding specifically the idea, it has been done before (Diotoir i believe was spring powered) however it does have its potential problems. Namely the slow return, and also being the least powerful of the common mechanisms.

What you get for that is simplicity, uniqueness, and ease of continued use (once built). Also its something you can just charge up and play, which is always a bonus when starting out. Only potential problem is because its so rare, it may be difficult getting help unless you post an idea and get it "double checked". But certainly at the end you could have a very serious robot which is easy to use and maintain.

Oh btw, you may be thinking of featherweight rather than lightweight.

I doubt there will be a build thread for Diotior here. They're one of the oldest teams in Robot Wars, and I'm pretty sure anything they built was long before the days of this forum. They did have a spring-powered flipper though - looked to me like a lifting bar with a compressible suspension spring either side. Im guessing they used gears and some kind of remote clutch to wind it up, but I'm not sure. I think you'd be looking at the 2nd to 5th wars or thereabouts for Diotior in action. I don't know if the team are still active in any way.

Register To Comment