Register To Comment

Thread: Reliable RC receiver.

Hi there,
    I was watching the some of the 'Tale Of The Tape' episodes on the
    BattleBots youtube channel. They said that a common failure point is the RC receiver. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this a big problem?
    I was thinking it would be a nice project to develop a more reliable one.

Paul

Honestly, in my experience recievers have been one of the more reliable parts of my robots, and that's predominantly in antweights where they're usually more exposed to opposing weaponry! I've had one die randomly outside of combat, and one chewed by a spinner, but in eight or nine years and more events than I can remember it's never been an issue.

90% of my electrical failures have been in the speed controllers, and developing a more reliable speedo is a well trodden path paved with blue smoke and blown FETs...

If you buy a cheap one you might occasionally have problems, but buying the proper ones and ive never had any issues.

And of course the proper ones are all still less than £30 anyway, so it doesnt make much of a financial difference (compared to the price of the robot itself)

I've had 3 receivers go on me in a row, all Orange RX's, before biting the bullet and paying out for another genuine Spektrum RX. I still use Oranges but if you are going to a major competition you may as well get a real one else you could die an embarrassing death.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    I've had 3 receivers go on me in a row, all Orange RX's, before biting the bullet and paying out for another genuine Spektrum RX. I still use Oranges but if you are going to a major competition you may as well get a real one else you could die an embarrassing death.
    I've used the 4 channel oranges in robots for years and years and never had a problem, I think it might just be the 6 channel ones!

Register To Comment