Register To Comment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drill motor conversion kits - guaging interest

I'll work out pricing once they have had some testing.

Of course it could delaminate. This is why I'm looking to have it tested out before I consider selling them.

Unfortunately my budget doesn't stretch to a metal 3D printer and if it did then the parts would cost more than most bots.

Similar blocks have been made in the past with HDPE or Nylon but I've got a 3D printer sat there so want to give it a go.

Get them CNC router-ed, would be cheaper and tougher! Just make a small jig for the off-axis mounting holes so it's quick and easy to place them with a desktop pillar drill.

Ewan, CNC routing and then manually drilling may be beneficial in some regards but the fact I have the printer sitting there with the material good to go is what is pushing me down this route. The fact that I can also very quickly and easy ramp up and down production is a big bonus too. Changes to the design are also incredibly quick and easy to put in place.

In terms of material properties, the nylon I'm using has the following spec when printed,

Tensile Strength = 8,100PSI
    Modulus PSI = 72,932
    Max Elongation at break = 31%

Up there with a good few virgin plastics.

Jack, I'm aware of the various metal fill materials. These however tend to be for asthetics more than function. The metal particles are generally suspended in a PLA type material giving no advantage over PLA which would be too brittle in this context. Oh and my hot end with happily go to 300 deg plus. My heated bed happily to 150 deg if need be. The joys of developing your own 3D printer over buying one off the shelf

I got a bit more done yesterday / this morning than I thought i would. So here is version 1.0 of the mounts in nylon *fanfare*

IMG_0719.JPG

Few things to note, the bolts need to be a touch longer. I used some that I had hanging around. Squeezing the gearbox casing in can be a bit tricky but there's enough flex in the material to allow it to do so. Had it running for a half hour on a power supply and there were no binding issues.

Onwards to some static loading tests to see when the mount fails and then dynamic tests. Working out how to make the testing applicable to the arena will be interesting.

higgeh
    look good but can you do them in pink?

Being fairly new to this, I assume nylon is pretty similar to HDPE (500) as far as density goes? Is nylon commonly used for feathers for chassis material like the base of a robot for instance?

Graeme the nylon can be dyed in any colour using conventional acid clothing dyes suitable for nylon material so yes, pink is an option

Dan, nylon can be used for chassis material yes. You can find the density with a quick google search.

higgeh
    Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Graeme the nylon can be dyed in any colour using conventional acid clothing dyes suitable for nylon material so yes, pink is an option
    Now we are talking!

we have a winner

Yes it is.

Register To Comment