Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robot Wars Series VIII - Week 2 Discussion

Week 2, certainly an interesting set of battles. Fewer true veterans this time, and a couple of brand new (seemingly somewhat untested) robots. As before, spoilers from here on, in case anyone hasn't watched the episode.

I called Disconstructor out as soon as I saw it on the website (sorry guys). I know that may have been presumptuous of me, but it was on the basis of it being a mobile box with a weapon attached, and it turns out I was right. What I didn't expect to see, was Tough as Nails go out so early. I was quietly rooting for the Dutch team, being one of my favourites from Series 7, with some excellent drivers. Personally I think they could've gone a lot further had Shockwave and Thor not ganged up on them, and I certainly did think they had control most of the fight, but that's the way it goes I suppose. In the final, I truly was expecting Thor to beat down the opposition, the axe proving incredibly effective in the previous bout, but Shockwave's sturdier blade proved more useful than the seemingly cobbled-together HDPE one. I was mighty impressed by Shockwave and Thor overall, which is honestly more than I can say for the Foxic team. I was actually rooting for Foxic to begin with. Quite a clever design with a quirky animal paintjob. However that kind of disappeared the more the episode went on. I don't intend to be mean, but I found Team Captain Craig Danby's attitude constantly rude and unsporting, even if it was in jest. Giving up because you lost your first head-to-head and not even trying against your opponent in the next is certainly not my idea of a good competitor. This coupled with Foxic's less-than-stellar performance and sadly ineffective weapon (which seemed to struggle as a lifter, never mind a 'devastating guillotine') had my respect for them evaporate by the last few fights. It's all well and good going after the house robots as a bit of fun, but to do your opponent the dishonour of ignoring them, and even (with Thor) calling them 'cowards', is not how you should behave. Sadly we didn't see much of Draven, I'd certainly love to see that weapon in action again if the team continues in live events or enters the next series. M.R. Speed Squared really impressed me in the first round, doing serious damage to both its opponents and itself, and I really did wonder for a second if we had another Typhoon on our hands. Sadly I think that was the beginning of the end for them, as their apparently very new design was not tried and tested enough to withstand the constant beating from the warzone, and their condition worsened from then on. As for Chimera, I was honestly hoping for better. I did think those wheels would have been sturdier than they were, but they simply couldn't stand up to the initial assault from Speed Squared. That said, I'm no expert, but I don't think their weapon would've been that effective had they had a chance against the others in the head-to-heads. Good episode overall despite the Foxic vs M.R. Speed Squared fight, the finalists were both worthy competitors, and I hope Shockwave does well in the Grand Final.
    Last edited by R9000; 31st July 2016 at 23:57.

"and even (with Thor) calling them 'cowards', is not how you should behave." You know Craig and Jason are good friends right... That's about par for the course with their trashtalk.

"I found Team Captain Craig Danby's attitude constantly rude and unsporting, even if it was in jest." Craig is far from unsporting and was a massive help in getting nuts back into the arena after a bit of Carbiding. We all trashtalk each other, TV just decided to only show one side of it.

Don't believe everything you see on TV, Craig got screwed in the edit. Yeah foxic had issues and he still tried to make the most of it by going after Dead Metal something that did make for some great TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    "and even (with Thor) calling them 'cowards', is not how you should behave." You know Craig and Jason are good friends right... That's about par for the course with their trashtalk.

"I found Team Captain Craig Danby's attitude constantly rude and unsporting, even if it was in jest." Craig is far from unsporting and was a massive help in getting nuts back into the arena after a bit of Carbiding. We all trashtalk each other, TV just decided to only show one side of it.

Don't believe everything you see on TV, Craig got screwed in the edit. Yeah foxic had issues and he still tried to make the most of it by going after Dead Metal something that did make for some great TV.
    My bad then, if they're actually good friends, fair enough. Maybe it was just Craig's confidence that somehow rubbed me the wrong way, I don't know. As for getting stuck underneath Dead Metal making for great TV, I'm not so sure. I'd honestly have preferred Speed Squared vs Foxic proper, even if it was a quick fight. Towards the end, they did start to come together, and it honestly wasn't too bad. Nuts running away from Terrorherz was interesting enough, this could've been ok. All the same, it's really odd that Craig would be so misrepresented in the edit if that's the case. Just seemed very strange to me, twice in a row. Anyway, fair enough if I'm wrong.

Yeah the camera angles are odd still, and the lack of music and John's audio commentary quality kinda grates at me in the fights. Not terribly, but it does feel lacking. Still, I doubt it's gonna change mid-series, and it's just a small complaint. Really looking forward to seeing Big Nipper in the next episode too, along with Orte and Dantomkia. I'm betting on Overdozer's demise in the first round, but it would be hilarious to see them go through with the huge handicap they seem to have put themselves at. They're gonna have to be careful with so many lifters and flippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Also, no disrespect intended to Craig Danby or the Foxic team but their behaviour in front of the cameras did come over as rude, arrogant and obnoxious, from the perspective of the viewing audience, and it was not enjoyable to watch. However, watching it for a second time made it pretty obvious to me that the editing was malicious, rather than the roboteers. The way they edited Craig calling Jason a coward in the pits, for example. This was the biggest disappointment of all.

Still - looking forward to the next episode, as we haven't seen any high pressure flippers yet - episode 3 will hopefully be a lot of fun just like episode 1 was
    I dont know if you have ever been involved with the tv series Matt but this language is what the producers like
    to hear-pick any five episodes and you will find similar language-i'm pretty sure they shook hands and enjoyed a
    beer afterwards.
    As for the battles, it was obvious that Thor was in a class of its own and should have walked it with 9 points
    in my opinion, but to win Robot wars you must be the best every fight and even with this new points system
    you need to avoid a full defeat-whats wrong with a bit of humility anyway.
    Dissapointed with Chimera-untested against spinners but if you dont rebuild it guys I might be interested
    in the workings.

I don't know why the producers like to hear it - none of the viewers seem to. And even if the aim was to just get people talking about it, it's making me think less of Mentorn as a company. They could have got my attention a lot more easily with something that was actually funny or jovial rather than this weird seemingly anti-social editing.

Register To Comment