Register To Comment
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Robo Challenge - Insomnia Gaming festival 26th to the 29th of August

Was thinking more of something like this:

http://www.rgl-electronics.co.uk/pro...612&section=64

Spinners pack quite a punch, my guess would be of more than a couple of 100kgs, and you'd have to build your brick even stronger if its being clamped to the floor as the impact will be even greater....

Quote Originally Posted by Liftoff View Post
    Nah you won't but if you're hit hard enough you might fly off with a piece of the floor attached!
    Well the original television series did have quite a few bots who managed to put smaller holes into the floor.
    Time's ripe for a much larger one. :P

Quote Originally Posted by NKT View Post
    Problem is, that leaves no way to counter a robot with a brutal fast spinning weapon. Shard & Drumroll, & the winning robot Conker 3, are all basically impossible to stop.

Yes, it's impressive, but it's going to need rule changes soon. 5 seconds bouts aren't that much fun for the watchers, nor the losing build teams.
    We can't win can we...

Last year at GSL, neither Shard or Conker 3 made the 2nd round, I believe Drumroll made it but was soon knocked out.
    What you have seen is actually very different from the norm. The top 3 robots are usually the flippers: 2 Beauty's and Explosion, but this time the table turned.

Conker 3 is far from infallible, same goes for Shard which lost to Satanix. Drumroll has its weak spots too. It also comes down to the robots you draw. I got lucky with most of my fights, I got machines that were either not working properly like Flat Pack or new machines like Cerates (I can't spell it) that had never fought before. If I had drawn Shard or Explosion it could have been a very different story.

Oh, and Conker 3's weapon only does a max of 11'000 RPM I did most of my fights at ~5000rpm as before it had a habit of killing itself.

Yep, even with two 25kg magnets it was enough to make driving impossible and for me to hang C3 off the arena wall!

Spinners OP, need to nerf them!

Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    The thing with huge downforce is that you need to be able to drive still. According to Alex, Conker 3's magnets were too strong to drive with, and they aren't anywhere near as strong as a 500kg electromagnet. Let alone the fact that the magnet you linked weighs almost 5kg! If you spent that extra 5kg on armour, you would probably be better off vs a spinner.
    Thought someone would mention this, that's why I said electromagnet not a permanent magnet, so you'll be able to turn it on and off. So while driving the magnet is off, as the spinner approaches for the attack, turn the magnet on. At 4.5kg for 550kg worth of downforce is not much. You have 9kg left for building an indestructible brick!

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Are there any vids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles View Post
    Has anybody got video footage of the fights left to upload? Unfortunately I didn't get anybody to film any of Mantis' fights and I would love to watch them back, it was all a blur to me.
    Yep, lots of vids. Give it a few days for the regulars to upload their stuff, maybe next weekend. I have a load of 90 and 120 FPS footage from my Go Pro but I am busy so it may take a while to upload.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftoff View Post
    Thought someone would mention this, that's why I said electromagnet not a permanent magnet, so you'll be able to turn it on and off. So while driving the magnet is off, as the spinner approaches for the attack, turn the magnet on. At 4.5kg for 550kg worth of downforce is not much. You have 9kg left for building an indestructible brick!
    Conker 3 had no magnets in it at all. I removed the 2 on the wedge after I discovered I couldn't drive at all with them and ran with just the wedge on the front.

I'd also say that massive magnet idea is a little too focused. You are never going to win a fight against other types of robot if you can't fight back, and since the spinner knows what you can do, they won't fall for it.

Register To Comment