Register To Comment
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Health & Safety - First Time Builder

At long last, there is life... and it has come with sustenance. A report.

With the addition of a reciprocating saw it not only saw my inner monologues evolve into inner debates (because my thoughts were now also reciproca... oh nevermind), it also granted me access into the wonderful world of murdering HDPE and getting plastic sawdust everywhere.

I thought I'd get basic construction down first before I go anywhere further. You know, don't run before you can walk and all that. I set my sights on a basic HDPE box. Much noise and hoovering later, there was a result!

IMG_20170126_125350.jpg

Please note the glass of fruit-smoothie (because HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE!), which will provide a valuable insight to the assembly time of this little white wonder of polyethylene.

IMG_20170126_125655.jpg

I do realize that there is one side missing by the way, but that's where the front would go... and, much like a lot of Americans this past elections, I didn't know what to do so I just decided not to make a decision (which fittingly enough was also going to bite me in the ass later on).

Anyways, time for more smoothie. 'MURICA THIRST.

IMG_20170126_130016.jpg

I'd run out of fruit-induced awesomeness. Sad.

Ofcourse, just sawing plastic wasn't enough - I now had to attach it to itself. Out came the screws, and at first I set about making a right mess of it mainly because the IKEA screwdriver that was available just gave up after getting in halfway - TOTAL disaster. This severe impotency (don't you just love all them Trump puns I'm making) asked for more firepower, so I decided to carpet bomb it back to the stone-age with a 500W impact drill.

TL000743.jpg

Long story short, I finally got a first setup together. As you can see this particular one still only has 1WD, but after fiddling about with some wires and getting some play-time with the hot-iron I got something working that managed to trump (yes) that.

With the little raskal being the camera-man, the first embodification of my inaptitude did its first laps through the living room.

The lack of front made it throw out its innards a couple of times, but it was fine overall. As you can see there's a shoddingly excess of wiring in there, as I've gone totally crazy with them BEC plugs. The simple reason behind that is that I'm still very much getting to grips with the content matter and I'm just learning things as I go along. You know, like that other bloke.

But naturally there is some drama. Upon the battery running out, one of the ESCs released its magic smoke. One of the wires had desoldered itself, but the other ESC is fine. If any of you wizards gracing me with your awesomeness has some sort of an idea, just leave a message after the beep.

IMG_20170205_224245.jpg

I'd guess that the two ESCs getting in too close a proximity of one another didn't do this one too many favors (unless that shouldn't matter in which case you can just ignore my rant).

Time now to get an actual chassis together, and think about the weaponry. GUNG-HO!
    Last edited by Zenith; 5th February 2017 at 21:58.

I am actually making it to my next monthly installment!

As the saying goes 'practice makes perfect'. Now, I wouldn't necessarily say that my current attempts are even in the same ballpark or league (or sport) as perfection, but what I am noticing is that there is somewhat of an upward learning curve. Upward as in: it's getting better. Or something.

This first manifested itself when I tried to solve the problem of mounting the motors solidly to the chassis. The motors can be mounted from the two holes in the gearbox ofcourse, but I wanted something a bit more solid. So I fabricated them out of the same 15mm HDPE I was using for the chassis.

My first attempt was a shambles, as I quickly found out you can't drill a straight hole through something if the material can bend. Well done Greg, now try again. So I did.

IMG_20170216_130048.jpg

I was quite pleased with that. Simple, yet effective.

IMG_20170216_132213.jpg

Putting them into a chassis was the next step, and it all seemed to fit snug as a bug.

TL000795.jpg

Please note that in this picture, both wheels are off the ground and the RL is removed (visible on the desk), because HEALTH AND SAFETY PEOPLE! Also featured on the picture are my beloved blue bent-beak pliers that I purchased for tightening the motor mounts. Yes, I have now definitively surpassed the threshold where the project has started to expand my tool arsenal. And more tools = good.

Then, it was time to get it moving. I wanted to hook up the Spektrum RX/TX, filed off the receiver plugs so they could fit (and thanks to R9000, I made sure to do it carefully) and played around with the mixing.

At this point, I figured out how to drive it with two sticks and noticed that taking it out for a test drive, I found myself positively neurotic it'd be blowing up on me. I guess the ESC that blew up on me the first time has now turned to haunt me whenever I drive a new platform, poking me in the back of the head like a Gremlin with a smoke machine saying 'Oooh that looks nice - can I do something to set the mood?'. For crying out loud, I even timed the test time with a countdown clock to see how the system heated up over time.

TL000798.jpg

But it was fine. My goal now is to get the 2WD platform bulletproof and move from there, as having a platform that drives properly is the basis of everything. I need to find a way to mount the RL socket securely, and add a power light to the system.

While that is going on, I'll start fabrication on an actual combat chassis. I want to play around with bending HDPE as well (already gave it a whirl with a heat gun, and it worked brilliantly), as I have noticed that the testing chassis has given me some inspiration.

Time to get out the hacksaw and create more artificial snow! Yay!
    Last edited by Zenith; 3rd March 2017 at 20:15.

nice idea for mounting the drive motors, interesting to see if they hold up

Looks great! The reason I was so emphatic about being careful is just 'cause that plastique disappears right down to the metal after only a few passes with the file, as I'm sure you'll know by now. Glad it turned out well. Keep on making the desiccated coconut!

The plastic indeed seemed to disappear quite fast. This was good in the respect that, much like a sloppy restaurant owner on Kitchen Nightmares, I am lazy when it comes to filing.

Thanks for all the compliments, by the way - they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. The funny thing is is that as crude as a build as it currently is, it's given me inspiration for the next chassis. I guess it helps me seeing something in front of myself rather than just having it in my head.
    Last edited by Zenith; 3rd March 2017 at 20:23.

*blows cobwebs and spidermonkeys away*

Yes dudes and duettes, this train is still chugging along like your alcoholic uncle in the pub! Time for an update!

With the Beetle champs lining up in September me and some of my compatriates have spawned the heinous plan of giving it a go. Where some in our Dutch delegation of destructive delight follow the more hands-on approach of ripping and nibbling, I am most likely to take the role of MISDIRECTION by making everyone look the other way. You know, so people can't see me lose.

Nah I'm just kidding, people are probably going to want to see what happens. I have decided to just give it a whirl and come along for shits and giggles - the more spectacularly TINAD will fail the better.

Anyway, so what have I been up to? Cutting plastic, ofcourse. Besides some nice artificial snow this got me the following things:

IMG_20170525_113507.jpg

Some more practice with making motor mounts...

IMG_20170525_113431.jpg

...play time with the worst LEGOs ever to be witnessed since Megablocks...

IMG_20170526_223104.jpg

...and being creative with a crayon and a ruler. I enjoy this 'design it as I go' sort of thing, but it makes me quite apprehensive of the possible eventuality that I'll still be designing it when I'm loading up the luggage in 3 months.

Regarding the insides I'm curious what most people do to 'mount' the socket of their RLs securely. To me that seems the hardest hurdle really, but as I type this I realize I may have inadvertently jynxed the Halleberries out of it as most real electrical work for the monstrosity still needs to be done.

Or, as the prophet J. Clarkson used to say: "How hard can it be?"

Hmyes.

What's your link like? For me I cut out a hole that was vaguely the same shape, slotted it in, and used cable ties to secure the wires in. If you're using a larger connector, you can often get a screw through the middle, although obviously be careful because you don't want to bridge the gap accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    What's your link like? For me I cut out a hole that was vaguely the same shape, slotted it in, and used cable ties to secure the wires in. If you're using a larger connector, you can often get a screw through the middle, although obviously be careful because you don't want to bridge the gap accidentally.
    I'm currently just using the same connectors as the battery uses (BEC) as it makes it easier to make a replacement. Thanks for your tips - I'm contemplating the use of screws and cable ties, so I'm going to have some experiments.

It seems the past few weeks have sped up my indefatigable process of cocking about a bit further.

First of all, I set out to learn how to put a power LED in there. Little bit of soldering, little bit of shouting, and there you go:

IMG_20170601_110139.jpg

It's clear that the wiring in the testing chassis is somewhat of a cat's wet dream, but that's what the testing chassis is for - being a mess. Of course it's by no means a guarantee that the actual chassis is going to be an OCD nirvana, but it at least increases the chances of it being less chaotic.

Speaking of the actual chassis: after making some blueprints based off of some testing, I got the dimensions I felt happy with and set out to cut some more plastic for what is actually going to enter the arena.

IMG_20170604_160111.jpg

The two pieces at the top are the wheel guards, of which one I already bent to show how it should look when finished. I actually find myself enjoying the transition between drawing and actual physical part - the chassis pieces are simply cut based off drawings, and the dimensions for the bent pieces are just taken by bending a piece of cardboard around the chassis mock up. Cardboard Aided Design, oh yes.

IMG_20170604_161929.jpg

"Hey Greg, there's some space between the front of the wheel guards and the chassis mount"
    -"Yes. That was all part of the plan. Really. Honestly."

As you might notice the two side rails and main intersecting piece interlock, and I was absolutely astounded by how solid that made this H profile without any screws or bolts. I can throw it through the room (naturally I had to do it) and it stays in 1 piece.

When it comes to weight I'm still below 400g... which is just as well considering that there's titanium on the way for the top, bottom and wedge, and I also need to put the lifter in.

IMG_20170530_222324.jpg

I guess I'll be seeing more of these coming my way quite soon. Maybe I'll put these in the garden so the neighbor cats will stop defecating between the petunias.

To be continued!
    Last edited by Zenith; 5th June 2017 at 22:45.

Register To Comment