Register To Comment
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Team Health & Safety - First Time Builder

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    This Is Not A Drill & WeeWoo
    Here's the event compilation! Actually struggled getting most of it in there - had to cut some stuff sadly...

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    James Davis
    Robots
    Black Venom FW (under construction)
    Good compilation, I enjoyed watching it

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    Thanks! Since I seem to build something new for every event I think it's nice to see everything that transpired before getting there.

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    Alas here we are agaaaaain!

On Bright Day the first fight pretty much sealed the fate of This Is Not A Drill's second version, when G2 saw fit to completely remove part of the chassis. This meant that another rebuild was in order.

Roll on Mk3!

For this new version I wanted to change several things:
    • finally and definitively make the switch to 4S
    • revert back to Mk1's wedge mount design to make the chassis shorter and lighter
    • change the motor mounting system to facemounts, also to reduce weight
    • moving the lifter slightly forward
    • moving the lifter motor forward
    • slightly increase the width

Quite a few changes then, and last week I started making the drawings for the new version. There were quite some similarities to Mk2, but I guess I'm tentatively approaching the stage of where the design is honed and perfected rather than COMPLETELY BINNED BECAUSE SCREW THIS.

Now, I have not got any events planned in the near future, but building is sort of my jam so forgive me to roll on the bread and LAYOUT THE TABLE.

IMG_20171207_113824.jpg

Breakfast is served. Most of the parts visible will either find their way into Mk3 or a different bot. Drawings were done quite swiftly as well - as it is, the only thing inherently different in the new chassis is the way the wedges are mounted so I only really had to redo the side pieces.

Well anyway, a day after I had done the drawings I suddenly found myself staring at this:

IMG_20171210_152812.jpg

Old vs. new, obviously. You might notice that from the old chassis the front cross member is missing - this is simply due to my obsession to be Terry Treehugger and recycle old parts.

IMG_20171210_115613.jpg

You see, looking at the front cross member from Mk2 (pictured here left) I noticed it could very well fit in the new chassis with some adjustments. To the right you can see a part which was actually meant for Mk2 but was put aside when I decided to slim down the Mk2 chassis. Now that I'm going to make the chassis wider again, I can use the part... let this be a lesson that you should never throw away parts you might still be able to use at a later stage.

The Mk3 chassis goes back to the concept of securing the inner mounts through interlocking them.

IMG_20171210_153023.jpg

Here you can see the part in question...

IMG_20171210_165531.jpg

...and this is how it looks assembled. Progress is quite quick actually, so I'll get the next installment out you ASAP. For sneak peeks there's ofcourse always the Facebook page, but if you don't care for this shameless attempt of self-promotion that's fine too.

Cheers!

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    Building is my jam, and I find myself most decidedly on a roll here. Who's hungry?

After getting the outer chassis sorted, I wanted to focus on the inside. I could actually still use the old motor bracket from Mk2 but as I wanted to move the motor forward, I needed to make a new one.

IMG_20171211_160526.jpg

I decided to experiment. Instead of going to 10mm-block-of-HDPE-paintstakingly-carved-from-a-15mm-sheet route I chose to use two 5mm pieces and add some shockproofing inbetween. I'm curious if this will improve anything, but it seemed to fit quite snug.

IMG_20171211_164817.jpg

Further improvements are the 'G2-prongs' I added to the baseplate, to further secure the wedge mounts from being ripped off by a freak spinner accident. Yes, famous last words and all that, but you have to give it all your best shot AMIRITE?

IMG_20171214_105120.jpg

Next up, the top plate. It requires a slight bend because of the shape of the chassis, which requires me to first mark the holes, then bend it, and THEN drill the holes. If you drill the holes beforehand you run the chance of warping them when you heat the HDPE.

IMG_20171214_113236.jpg

Then time for some more Cardboard Aided Design to get the slot for the lifter cam lined up...

IMG_20171214_114448.jpg

...and there we are. As you can see though, the lifter is still quite far from flush with the ground. This is due to the lifter cam still being unmodified from Mk2, and with the lifter motor going forward, the cam was now too big.

IMG_20171214_120012.jpg

Some grinding later, all was well again. The front can be raised 5mm and the lifter blade will still be flush - good stuff then.

IMG_20171214_120028.jpg

And just to be safe, a check for lifter reach. This is the lovely thing about having a motor-actuated lifter - I just put the cam onto the motor mounted in its bracket and turn the cam as far as it can go. Voila, max reach.

Seems alright to me.

Check back soon for the next installment where I'm going crazy with wedges and stuff!

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    After moving house, it's about time I give you lads an update on my insanity.

You see, upon the purchase of our new abode I decreed upon my better half that the garage was not to be touched by an Ikean influence of matching drapes and hipster wall ornaments.

Because it's a garage. Time to DIY my IKEA, and build myself a workshop! The previous owner had used the garage as storage for his contracting business, and before cleaning it out I asked him to leave an old door I'd spotted in the back behind - the way I saw it, the 4cm thick piece of solid wood could serve perfectly as a worksurface for a workbench.

IMG_0335[1].jpg

Upon learning of my plans, he was kind enough to also provide me with a shipping pallet for the substructure. Yesterday, I took it upon myself to take all this discarded wood and give it another life.

IMG_0345[1].jpg

Two afternoons later the door, the shipping pallet and wooden floor offcut caterpillars were transformed into the zombified butterfly that is my new workbench. Being the tall manly-man that I am I wanted this thing to be significantly less ergonomically challenged than my previous improvised workspace (which was a coffee table), so it ended up being quite massive - it's just over 2 metres wide, 83cm deep and just over a metre tall. Because of this I can now also do work standing up, which is a prospect that makes my spine rejoice.

Only need to add a vice now along with a bottle opener... then, time to get building again!
    Last edited by Zenith; 29th April 2018 at 21:08.

Status
    Name
    Greg Cathalina
    Robots
    Dutch Robot Games European Championships - 29th & 30th of September 2018
    at FACTS Comic Con, Gent, Belgium

This has been a crazy-busy couple of weeks.

IMG_1517.jpg

This Is Not A Drill was effectively finished over half a year ago - the chassis was all set prior to moving to a new house, and after moving I set to work on building WeeWoo for Bugglebots (a report on that will follow once that airs in December).

Once Bugglebots was done This Is Not A Drill was entered for the FRA Euros at first, but the air fares started to add up to such an extend I couldn’t make the trip this time. Instead, I chose to seek the alternative closer to home, and have some fun at the DRG-FMB European Championships at the FACTS Comic Con in Belgium.

This coincidentally would mean that all three versions of TINAD have fought in three different countries - Mk1 at the FRA Euros in Marlow UK, Mk2 at Bright Day in the Netherlands and now Mk3 at the Belgian event of FACTS. Jeroen (of Reality fame) had brought my crate to Bugglebots three weeks prior and would take my crate directly to FACTS as well. This led to my first problem: no tools in the run-up to the event. No fasteners. No soldering iron. Everything was in my crate, so I did the best I could with what remained in my workshop. I knew TINAD was functional, so didn’t worry all too much about getting it ready. I only did the decals - the rest would follow at the event.

So on a VERY early Saturday morning I stashed TINAD in the top case of my motorbike, and drove the 140 km to the Flanders Expo in Gent, Belgium. Time to see whether the 4S upgrade to TINAD would actually pay off.

IMG_1586.jpg

Cosmin had brought along Wee as well, so WeeWoo was on display. We couldn’t share anything on how we did of course because NDA, but the twins got a lot of attention and positive feedback (which is good - it helps their dysfunctional sibling-relationship a bit).

Soon enough, it was time for the first fight.

IMG_1594.jpg

Fight 1 Bequinox

I used the forks for this to see how well they’d work against a drum, but all it did was expose part of the frame to Bequinox which he caught in the first hit. I landed on the arena wall and then found myself out of the arena.

Yeah, it probably took longer to read this then the fight lasted.

IMG_1597.jpg

Fight 2 The O’Neill

Now this is an ongoing grudge match of sorts; I’ve fought Cosmin’s brick The O’Neill four times over the years and never won, so I was hoping the new forks would make a difference.

IMG_1584.jpg

The only thing that seemed to be the case was that it made the front light, and I became a toy for Cosmin to play with. He nearly got me out a few times and even managed to turn me over at one point, which was when I finally could see whether the new horn would work in selfrighting… and it did, beautifully! This was the only thing I was satisfied with though, as the drive power was still lacking and the lifter, even though it got plenty of chances, didn’t manage to get anywhere close to lifting The O’Neill.

At one point I got a bit of luck though - The O’Neill lost drive on one side. I was a bit confused whether it was counted out or whether it was the end of the fight, but the win went to TINAD. Yay!

Day 2

I knew I was going to face either Orbit or Bequinox at this point, and lo and behold it was Bequinox again. I put on the plow this time and hoped it would last a bit longer than a fart in the wind.

IMG_1601.jpg

And it did! It got beaten up quite badly though - Bequinox took a bite out of the chassis, the top plate, both wheelguards and a wheel, but it took a big hit to the lifter/selfrighter for the link to come out and finally render TINAD motionless. I had noticed prior to the event the link went in waaay to smoothly - this was due to the wiring loom coming straight out of Mk2. The socket had worn a bit apparently, and now I paid the price for leaving it in.

IMG_1608.jpg

(here's more pictures of the damage)

Back at the pit table, just putting the link back in brought This Is Not A Drill back to life without a problem.

IMG_1612.jpg

This did mean TINAD was out of the main tournament, taking the third place. That left a bit of a bittersweet taste in my mouth though, as I felt TINAD was still very far from the machine I want it to be and in my mind didn’t really do much for that 3rd place other than survive.

Ideally I feel it should be a wolf in sheep’s clothing, having the aesthetic appeal purely for entertainment, but also bring a good fight to the arena. It’s the latter I want to improve on - it really should have more of a bite to it, and be able to influence the outcome of a fight better rather than being just a punching bag.

One thing I am truly proud of though is that through all iterations, TINAD has never suffered any internal damage in the arena - it’s always been a tank, which, with my soldering skills, is something I always feared it wouldn’t be. Mk3, especially since it’s the first version to feature ESCs which I needed to solder up first, underlined that the basic essential quality for a good bot is there: it is able to take the hits and keep on going.

Nevertheless, expect TINAD to be completely redesigned and rebuilt in the coming future. Different drive system, different weapon setup… Mk4 will be a totally new robot, using the lessons of the past to bring even more madness in the future.

(next report will be Bugglebots, so uh, watch this space. And watch the show in December dammit)

Last edited by Zenith; 8th October 2018 at 22:40.

Register To Comment