Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Behind the scenes at events

Hi guys,

I have watched a lot of videos on youtube of robot fighting events, but what bugs me, is that no one seems to have filmed what happens before and after the fights, like the robots entering/ exiting the arena, arming and disarming the robots, fight organising, tech checks, etc.

I might be nitpicking but I do like in-depth behind the scenes stuff, and it might be informative for new competitors to see the inter-workings of events.

so does anybody have any such footage?

Ive tried it, and unfortunately its not really worth it as you cant see a damn thing.

wow that was dark, but still interesting, so each bot is armed one after the other at robot wars/ extreme robots events.

would that be the same procedure for the feather weights as well?

Near enough the same procedure, though because theres no external pen the locking bars get left in until all robots are armed and then removed by the arena marshal once the fight is about to start.

The main reason it doesn't get filmed is because it's actually pretty dull. A lot of waiting around before some bends down, puts a plug in the bot and then exits the arena. It's not all that exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfie489 View Post
    Near enough the same procedure, though because theres no external pen the locking bars get left in until all robots are armed and then removed by the arena marshal once the fight is about to start.
    Are you taking about the FRA featherweight championships? thats the only event that I know of that doesn't use a pen.

Robots live do not have an arming pen either.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    Robots live do not have an arming pen either.
    oh ok, thanks for pointing that out Alex.

Could you guys explain what normally takes place from arriving at the event to arming up the robot for the first fight?

You arrive at the event. Wheel your robot in and up to a pit space. Setup your chargers and tools. Get tech checked, signup name for competition fights or white boards on the board. Chat with each other and wait for fights. Occasionally the EO will gather everyone and give a quick bit of info.

Optional steps: Doing everything needing to be done to the robot since last time you used it and really should have done before you arrive frantically while continually delaying your tech check.

Register To Comment