Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Behind the scenes at events

Quote Originally Posted by Coolspeedbot View Post
    Are you taking about the FRA featherweight championships? thats the only event that I know of that doesn't use a pen.
    Roaming Robots is the only event with an arming pen so far as I know. Everyone else just uses the arena itself. (I believe the arming pen was left over from a way of reentering the arena after being thrown out? Or something along those lines.)

At the FW champs your order is something like this -

-Arrive early & Pick up your Pass
    -Set up at your bench and put your bots on their cradles
    -Attend the Drivers Briefing - covers safety, rules, fire exits etc
    -Get tech-checked and weighed (Make sure you pass this bit)
    -Check your fight times, or fight order and be ready with your robot and transmitter during the fight before yours.
    -Wait to be called into the arena by the arena Marshall.
    -The marshal will then tell you the order to arm up in (Usually pushers/lifters/grabbers, Pneumatic robots, Spinners)
    -Once armed go to the driving area next to the judges and follow their instructions
    -FIGHT!
    -Your robot will be disarmed for you by the Marshall, then you will be called in to collect your machine.
    -Take your machine straight out to your table so you clear the way for the next group of roboteers.
    -Repair and recharge (Or totally rebuild in some cases) your robot ready for the next fight!

Some of that will probably seem obvious and most of it is common sense You only run into hiccups if you end up with rouge robots, lipo fires, excessive damage or arena damage, but that is all pretty rare.

PS - I have probably missed something in the list but its pretty close

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    You arrive at the event. Wheel your robot in and up to a pit space. Setup your chargers and tools. Get tech checked, signup name for competition fights or white boards on the board. Chat with each other and wait for fights. Occasionally the EO will gather everyone and give a quick bit of info.

Optional steps: Doing everything needing to be done to the robot since last time you used it and really should have done before you arrive frantically while continually delaying your tech check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Roaming Robots is the only event with an arming pen so far as I know. Everyone else just uses the arena itself. (I believe the arming pen was left over from a way of reentering the arena after being thrown out? Or something along those lines.)

At the FW champs your order is something like this -

-Arrive early & Pick up your Pass
    -Set up at your bench and put your bots on their cradles
    -Attend the Drivers Briefing - covers safety, rules, fire exits etc
    -Get tech-checked and weighed (Make sure you pass this bit)
    -Check your fight times, or fight order and be ready with your robot and transmitter during the fight before yours.
    -Wait to be called into the arena by the arena Marshall.
    -The marshal will then tell you the order to arm up in (Usually pushers/lifters/grabbers, Pneumatic robots, Spinners)
    -Once armed go to the driving area next to the judges and follow their instructions
    -FIGHT!
    -Your robot will be disarmed for you by the Marshall, then you will be called in to collect your machine.
    -Take your machine straight out to your table so you clear the way for the next group of roboteers.
    -Repair and recharge (Or totally rebuild in some cases) your robot ready for the next fight!

Some of that will probably seem obvious and most of it is common sense You only run into hiccups if you end up with rouge robots, lipo fires, excessive damage or arena damage, but that is all pretty rare.

PS - I have probably missed something in the list but its pretty close
    Ah, that makes sense thanks guys that makes it very clear.

hopefully I'll get my first featherweight up and running and start competing with it.

Register To Comment