Register To Comment
Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Coolspeedbot: first feather weight robot

Some Aluminium parts arrived from Dave Moulds and Engineering Network. The pretend-o build now includes the side panels. Sadly all of the threaded bars for bolting the frame together had issues with holes not being accurate enough for the job as in each one had at least one hole out of place, the drill wondered when drill pressed it. I’ll get more aluminum and try to drill and tap them better this time.

When you drilled the holes, did you use a centrepunch? That should make an indent to stop your drillbit walking off.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    When you drilled the holes, did you use a centrepunch? That should make an indent to stop your drillbit walking off.
    I did but it is a bit iffy when I hit it.

Hmm. Maybe try one of those spring-loaded punches? Not sure if they'd be good enough for hardox.

Quote Originally Posted by R9000 View Post
    Hmm. Maybe try one of those spring-loaded punches? Not sure if they'd be good enough for hardox.
    Hardox? don't you mean the aluminium bars?

I used one of those spring-loaded punches on Voodoo's aluminium, works an absolute treat!

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    I used one of those spring-loaded punches on Voodoo's aluminium, works an absolute treat!
    Oh ok

McMullet
    I assume there's some kind of magical knack to getting holes in the right place when drilling metal...

If you're making lots of piece of identical ally bar, is it worth making yourself a little jig? A scrap piece of metal (or even plastic/wood) with some 2mm through holes drilled in the exact right places. Clamp it to the piece you're working on, then use the pre-existing holes to line up a 2mm drill bit. You'd only need to go in a couple of mm on each hole with the jig in place.

Might be a bit of a faff to make but that way you only have to be accurate once.

Oh, and the robot looks awesome!

Jigs work but can be a pain the that's ass. Just measure and measure and measure again. One option if you get deep pockets and space is a 3axis sliding table and a bench drill. Or a mill.

Register To Comment