Register To Comment

Thread: Ground scraping walker

Hey,
    The build rules state:
    "2.2 Legged Robots
    Legged Robots or “Walkers” can weigh up to twice the specified weight in all classes. A walker must employ moveable legs to support its weight. Each leg must have at least 2 degrees of freedom. Robots with rolling or sliding mechanisms will not be classified as walkers."

Craig's amazing build has inspired me to think again about walkers, many wheeled robots have 2 wheels and then the front of the robot scrapes along the floor. This is particularly important for flippers and any robot with some sort of wedge. So my question is whether a walker with 2 legs (each with 2 degrees of freedom) where the front of the robot scraped along the floor would be entitled to twice the weight limit?

Here the legs would be supporting the weight of the robot, just not the entire weight and I don't think this is what the rule is referring to when it says 'sliding mechanisms'.

What are people's thoughts?

Entire weight or no additional weight limit in my view. 100% weight increase is a HUGE increase. I know the rules are prohibitive but then building a 30lb walking chassis and putting a 30lb disc on top wouldn't be outwith the realms of possibility (I have a design for this on the drawing board with the full 2 DOF per leg).

As long as the legs are providing 100% of the movement, what's the difference? If the other parts of the bot touching the floor are not powered or at least don't contribute to the bot's movement, then they don't take away from it being a walker with 2DOF.

Saying that the legs can be the only thing touching the floor is too restrictive; what if the bot was knocked on it's side - would it suddenly stop being a walker?

Interesting question, I think the "support it's weight" bit is the problem here,

If you can make it so the test for "walker status" is done without the front scoop and it walks on it's two legs turns corners and is supported all the time by just the legs,

Then I think it may pass. but I am sure there are too many people with fear fuelled notions of a Walker Armageddon. to allow this to be anything but a dream!

In theory, the rules set by the FRA are adhered to by the EO's.

But it's the EO's who have the last word of what happens at their venue.

On the "sliding" mechanism. In theory a passive scoop is a sliding mechanism.
    On the other hand, how to build a combat effective non spinner without a scoop?

Register To Comment