Register To Comment

Thread: 3d cad software

Hi All

strange questions, but im just in the process of swapping form my old 2d 2007 autocad to something a bit posher, I have 2 main options

2016 solid works
    or inventor

its a big leap as I am fully trained in 2d and use it for my job but we don't use 3d, so I want to choose the most intuitive system to learn and use any comments

On a separate note I will also need a new pc as mine is quite old and either package will probably not run any suggestions ?

Regards

Adam

You're going to get different answers from different people, so TBH its going to come down to price and personal preference.

I'd say use Solidworks but that's cos I have spent 7 years using it. Its only downside really is the lack of integral CAM software where as Inventor can have it as a native plug in (I believe).

When I worked with Inventor I found I preferred its sheet metal functions over Solidworks and the way you could constrain multiple things at the same time but that was about it.

Have a look at fusion 360 - it's quite close to inventor but free if you can put up with the cloud based file management. The integrated CAM is really nice and straight fowards too.

I prefer SW over inventor personally. They are basically the same thing though with slightly different workflow. Kinda like the difference in IOS and Android. I'd be happy with either given the option.

Alex - Solidworks has HSMworks which is a free plug in - its the precusor to fusions cam and more or less the same things. Works really really well.
    Last edited by GlenR; 14th May 2016 at 07:51.

SAw this thread and thought I would share some info I found. OnShape looks very good, has a free version and is developed by the people who originally built SolidWorks

Here's a blurb from the site bot....

Many thousands of hobbyists are using Onshape's free Public Plan to design all sorts of cool things.I recommend checking out these learning resources to get started:
    1. Onshape Learning Center
    2. Community Forums
    3. Onshape Video Library

Onshape Forums
    Onshape Inc is a venture-funded startup founded by members of the original SolidWorks team plus top engineers from the CAD, data center, mobile and streaming media industries.

Onshape

Onshape Video Library
    This webinar will discuss the newly released Sheet Metal functionality. Topics include creating Sheet Metal parts, the Sheet Metal table and flat view, and defining other settings.

Register To Comment