Register To Comment

Thread: My Beetleweight Stuff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thought I may as well make a retroactive build diary for my beetle stuff since I'm now working on my 4th and haven't actually posted anything on here about them.

Hyperion:
    Hyperion is based on the US bot Riptoff, it's the 2nd bot I ever fully designed myself but the first I built (that will be explained a little later)
    As with all of my beetle stuff I started in Autodesk Inventor:

After some refining to remove a fair chunk of weight from the frame I ended up here:

Hyperions Internals:

It uses 2 1000rpm motors for drive, 2 BB10a's to control the drive, an NTM 28-36 to power the weapon and an Afro 30a to control the weapon. All of this is run off of a Turnigy 3s 850mah lipo.
    Finished bot (minus lid):

Hyperions first event was the UK Beetleweight champs in December, after winning the first 2 fights by knockout, during the 3rd fight I tried to boxrush spinza to stop it spinning up, as I had a smaller dia and lighter weight weapon I spun up during the rush over and landed a small hit on spinza which unfortunately detached the pulley from the brushless motor and moved it into the path of the weapon causing the weapon to hit the pulley, snap the motor shaft off and throw the pulley at spinza in a futile attampt at a projectile attack. This left Hyperion as a rammer and seeing an opportunity I went to to put Incomplete Control into the pit but overshot it and drove both of us in giving Spinza the win.

Hyperions wedge is 2mm grade 5 titanium, the frame is 10mm thick 6082 ali with a 10mm thick 400g hardox disk spinning at 8k rpm.

Beetle Champs Videos:

Noxa:

Noxa was the first thing I ever designed in Autodesk Inventor, it started off with this horrible excuse for a CAD attempt:

After realizing how horrible this was and going through a few iterations I halted it and ended up designing/building Hyperion instead, once Hyperion was done however I decided to revisit it and ended up with this:

Then it was on to the build, Noxas frame is 10mm 6082 ali with a 50mm spinning dia 7075 drum. It uses the exact same Internals as Hyperion:

After making sure everything worked:

Paint and side armour needed to happen:

Final weight is 1.32kg (no idea how)
    Last edited by tweedermeister; 27th April 2016 at 08:20.

Register To Comment