Register To Comment
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NST

Awesome bit of machining sam. Robot worked incredi ly well for. Its first outing

Glad to see you finally have the featherweight bug

Is it sad that my eye isn't drawn to the nice motor mount or the lovely looking spinning bar, but to the copy of Professional Engineering magazine sitting on your table?

I have to say, the effort that's gone into the motor mount definitely paid off when it came to running in the arena; it's reliability was brilliant. Keep the pics coming

Lol, I wondered which prof-engineers would notice that.
    Cheers dude, it took some stick for sure. I didn't mount it the best in the hurried build and noticed recently that the big bevel gear chewed some of the edges of the stainless steel bulkhead which it sits near. That unit must have moved a fair bit in the impacts.

Nows a good time for a recommendation to anyone who plans to use a dewalt 24v motor....
    In my opinion the important parts of the standard dewalt drill motor are well made (armature & mag casing). The front and back casing are perfectly fine for a drill but no good for combat as the screws are made into plastic. The standard motor back plastic part is known to melt when abused in combat as the brushes get hot. To overcome this Robot market place sell a high temp brush housing, which is watercut from high temp plastic. While this cleverly overcomes temp issues and cunningly provides you with neutral or advanced timing option in each direction, it has two big flaws....
    1) There is no good means of alignment or strength to support the back bearing (which ended up smashing the magnets with the armature in the original motor and my spare which I swapped out half way thru the comp).
    2) the brushes are supported less securely than if you were to use gaffa tape!

I didn't have time to solve either of these before the comp but expected probs. So i'd recommend the motor but save your 60 dollars (and motor's magnets!) and think of a cunning way to replace the back of the motor. This is how I have gone about it with abit more time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sam

Great looking robot

sent you a pm concerning your upgrades

alex

Register To Comment