Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ion (Beetle Weight Drum Spinner)

Hey all, been a while, mainly due to not doing much work on the beetle and a lack of events lol.

Had a fantastic time at Burgess, thanks to the Robots Live team, dave for setting up his arena and gareth for running the beetleweight competition!

Upgraded Ion with a new drum that was lighter, had better KE and accounted for countersunk bolt teeth to increase bite quite a bit..it worked pretty well, the weapon being great and the drive letting it down due to some settings in the transmitter somewhere I think?

One hit in testing on tin metal did this, I was pleasantly surprised at the time

roses tin test.jpg

Got third place overall after losing a brutal fight against Tempus in the semi final.

Vids of my four competition fights:

The wedge worked as planned, giving me an advantage against pushy bots, can tell the drive is really dodgey in all of these fights.

Got some big chunks out of the armour and weapon in this one, was close to OOTAing him twice sadly, brilliant fight.

ion pic 1.jpgion pic 2.jpgion pic 3.jpg

First pic shows self inflicted damage in my fight against fat lip, I can only assume the teeth weren't big enough and the opponents wedge dug into the alu behind. The second pic shows the MASSIVE gash from the Tempus fight which put the drum significantly off balance, impressive stuff!

May or may not have had a fun fight against the RC toilet after the competition and set fire to myself and burnt at least 2 electrical components..well pass over that for now

Cheers, Andy

Looking good Andy! The power of beetles has ramped up since the last events I was at (2015 Champs), gonna need to get back in the game soon

I think Dave is taking it to Manchester if there is enough demand, I will try and get Ion ready for that just in case but got a whole feather to build so not sure yet lol

Hey all, quick report from Grantham beetle comp.

There were only 5 competing beetleweights at the event, including 4 spinners and 1 lifter, making for a pretty brutal round robin competition! Congratulations to Sam with Swag Demon taking the overall win.

Videos of Ion's fights in no particular order..Lost two of the four fights by being beached on my own link when upside down which was a bit annoying, but the fights were fun either way.

All four of the fights were pretty short and explosive, I guess whats what happens when its spinner vs spinner over and over

Got a lot of chassis damage from this fight, but the internals are mostly intact. Time for a few upgrades including a new chassis for the BW champs in September! More progress on that when it happens!

Cheers, Andy

I was genuinely quite shocked when I saw how much damage Ion took against BFS, looking forward to seeing the new one.

SD isn't in great shape either despite the win, It's been running for almost 2 years now so hardly surprising, I'll be building a new chassis for the champs too, hopefully we get another drum off.

Yeah, work has started on new Ion, if we don't draw each other we'll have to organise a proper BW drum off ourselves, and hopefully this one will last more than one hit haha

Register To Comment