Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some steel parts cutting/machining, fairly quickly (UK)

Alright, so I was thinking of just ordering from some company online, but I know we've got a few people who work with metals here, so I thought I'd ask around. I need some 5mm, 4mm and 10mm steel cutting or machining from some 3D part models, preferably within a week or less. You can get an idea of what I need on my build diary thread here, but if anyone can do this I'll send some proper CAD files and such, since those were only made in Sketchup. Most of the metallic-textured stuff you see there I'll need (other than the nuts, axles and side-plates, I can do those on my own). If you have Hardox (or even Titanium for the shovel), I'd like to use that instead, but I've no idea what availability's like at the thicknesses I need. That said, I can just use mild steel if that's all that's going. Could probably do with a rough idea of what these kinds of parts usually cost, as these aren't super complex.
    The reason I say quickly is that I'm trying to get this thing built over the Easter hols, and I've got less than two weeks left. If it takes longer, it'd probably still be ok, but not ideal.
    Cheers guys.
    Last edited by R9000; 29th March 2016 at 01:03.

To me those parts all look flat? i.e. can be cut from sheet material.... your best bet is water jet or laser cutting - try lasermaster.co.uk they have mild steel in stock but you'd have to source hardox or anything else fancy yourself.

https://k-cut.co.uk/ these chaps are your guys, reasonable and fast

Thanks guys, I'll try K-Cut.

K-cut recently did a pretty big job for me (in 8mm Hardox, including some folding) and they were great. Make sure your parts have suitable clearance on holes and such as their machine is a waterjet, which is a little less accurate than laser. For small holes in thin material, 0.5mm oversize should be about right.

You may also want to flip (mirror) parts in your 2D layout of the parts to be cut. This way, the edge taper from the cutting process will be mirrored and your chassis will be symmetrical.

Be sure to tell them you were pointed to them by the robot fighting community! We've been giving them a good bit of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    K-cut recently did a pretty big job for me (in 8mm Hardox, including some folding) and they were great. Make sure your parts have suitable clearance on holes and such as their machine is a waterjet, which is a little less accurate than laser. For small holes in thin material, 0.5mm oversize should be about right.

You may also want to flip (mirror) parts in your 2D layout of the parts to be cut. This way, the edge taper from the cutting process will be mirrored and your chassis will be symmetrical.

Be sure to tell them you were pointed to them by the robot fighting community! We've been giving them a good bit of business.
    Yep, I'll let them know. So when you had the Hardox cut, I'm assuming you supplied that? If I just want regular steel, they'll supply it right?

K-cut have it all in stock

Register To Comment