Register To Comment

Thread: First time build! Devils Advocate!

I'm not sure where to start with this...

Firstly, I'm going to suggest you head over to http://robotwars101.org/forum/. This is where most of the antweight builders hang out and there's a wealth of knowledge there.

Now, to your actual post...

"ESC - Turnigy 20a" As far as I'm aware Turnigy don't make a reversible ESC for brushed motors. If you bought one for use with brushless motors, it won't work with those drive motors, as they're brushed. If you bought one that doesn't say it has reverse, or is bi-directional, then it will only go in one direction. Can you link what you bought please?

Voltage Reg - This is not usually required as a separate component. Usually your ESCs will have a built-in voltage regulator (also known as a BEC) to power the receiver and servos, or you can just buy a receiver and servos that will work up to full voltage anyway.

Servo - This servo is a little small. It'll work, but it'll be a bit weedy. I would recommend one of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24764

Your writeup at the bottom is very worrying. Lipo batteries can very easily go up in smoke and/or fire if not used properly, and you're lucky that you only damaged your receiver and not, say, your face or your house. Please be more careful.

You don't need two separate batteries. As I described earlier, there are multiple ways to lower the voltage for other components, or even just to get components which don't need the voltage lowered in the first place. The servo I linked above will work without regulation.

My main concern though is that everything I've just written is fairly easily found with some research. You've obviously done a bit since you've bought some good motors and wheels and know roughly what components you need, but it feels like you've just thrown money at the rest of the components without any idea of what you're actually looking for, and you've endangered yourself in doing so. Please do some more research and ask some more questions before progressing any further. Post a full parts list and have it verified that you're not doing anything obviously wrong (as you have done above) before randomly plugging things in to one another.

Best of luck.

Register To Comment