Register To Comment
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Building "Hard-Ox" the HW Robot.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    The Vyper is a single channel esc. Meaning, 1 input channel, 1 voltage regulated channel out.

The older and no longer sold Sidewinder is 2+1 input channels, 2 voltage regulated channels out.

In short. 1 Vyper does 1 motor or side of your machine.
    (if you want to build a heavyweight machine with 4 Robot Power Magnum drives each side, 1 Vyper can control the 4 Magnums with a reasonable rate of succes.)
    Would having two vipers mean i i would have to control it like a tank? or would the left and right thumb stick turn it left and right? (if that makes sense)

It makes sense Jay.

Most robots use "tank" or "skid" style steering.
    There are a few exceptions, Onslaught as most visible example of "car style" steering.

How to command the Vypers.
    That is depending on what you want and what kind of Radio gear (TX/RX, Transmitter/reciever) you use.

Most of use use a single stick to control movement front/back - left/right.
    There are a few who use the real tank style controle with both sticks forward/backward.

And then we get less common, the car-controllers with steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Converting tank steering into fwd/bk left/right is known as mixing. There are three main ways of mixing. The first is on the handset, you'd need a half decent handset for this, and they will only usually mix on the right hand stick. The second option is the speed controller does it, but you'd need a dual motor controller such as a Wotty or Sabertooth. The third and less common option is to use a gadget that goes between the receiver and the speed controller called a V-Tail mixer. This can be problematic as they sometimes struggle to deliver enough power to the receiver and there can be fail-safe issues.

You will find that in feathers people tend to mix on the handset, and in the heavies people tend to mix on the speed controller. This is mostly down to the commonly used controllers in each class. From personal experience I've had less issues mixing on the controller, for me it's been a case of spend the money and reap the benefit further down the line, but in reality there is no right or wrong way.
    Like you, i think it'd be best to spend more upfront than have to alter it down the line and ennd up costing just as much lol.

Productive day..

Thinking of shortening the chassis a little more yet.. Not 100% sure.

Attached Images Attached Images

The current dimensions are:-
    Length, 990 mm long (may shorten yet)
    Width, 600 mm (widest point)
    Height, 400 mm.

Why using mild steel box section when you're using hardox all over?

Love it!

Where in Lincolnshire are you Jay?

Register To Comment