Register To Comment
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Shadow: Ferrovore

Thanks! The problem with the srimech came with the last match of the weekend. The bot was flipped and ended up with the jaw jammed between the rails in the wall, so it couldn't roll sideways. Had the match finished any later, the whole srimech would have burnt itself out. Conventional RC gives me the power of veto.

What about fitting a remote kill on the srimech circuit so you can turn it off to prevent something like that happening again. Infact does it not need one anyway since its an autonomous part? Been a while since I've read the auton rules section.

Here is a mechanism I developed for Cherub as I found when I lifted up another robot moving about the arena was difficult.
    So I developed a front wheel mechanism that when I lifted the opponent, this mechanism lifted the front of the robot, about 8mm enough to let it move.
    But when the lifting forks were down on the ground the front of the robot was in the lower position, to get under the opponent.

hope this helps.

2013-09-25 09.30.17.jpg
    2013-09-25 09.30.23.jpg
    2013-09-25 09.31.44.jpg

UPDATE

So it's been a while since I updated this thread, but that's what happens when you can only attend one event a year.

The original Ferrovore is gone. I scrapped the chassis and jaws, leaving just the electronics, actuator and drivetrain. For the Mk 2 version, I have decided to create my first lifter, but with a slight difference.
    In most electric lifters, the actuator extends and pushes on the front of the arm to generate lift. In this case, however, I've come up with a flatter and potentially more versatile design. The actuator mounts to a dipped extension on the back of the arm, behind the pivot point, and retracts to raise the lifter (see below).

This means that I can mount the assembly into a flatter shape without losing as much thrust as I would if the actuator was attached to the lifter at a very shallow angle. It also means the lifter has just over 100 degrees of travel, making it more suited to self-righting.

More updates as they come, I'll try to be a bit more frequent in posting this time.

Ferrovore Mk2 side view.pngFerrovore Mk2 top view.png

Great to see the evolution of this bot, interested to see how the new all-in-one mechanism will work out

UPDATE

Progress has been amazingly quick over the last 2 weeks! With the acquisition of some fresh HDPE, the chassis is already rapidly taking shape and the motors/wheels have already been mounted (see below). Thanks to carrying forward all of Mk1's electronics, it's made it incredibly easy to plan Mk2's interior layout right from the start.

On a more aesthetic note, I was never that pleased with the styling job I did on Mk1. The plain black chassis was lacking in features, and the LED 'eyes' bulged out from the front where they could be easily broken.
    This time, I'm partially making the lid from aluminium, which allows me to give it a lick of colourful paint. Also, I'm making the 'eyes' much more integral with the front end, opting to house the LEDs behind a pair of frosted polycarbonate covers for a more dissipated and organic glow. So if all goes to plan, this new version will be more in line with the insectoid theme I've been trying to achieve!

WP_20170104_22_54_43_Pro.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    This looks really neat and clean :-) are you having wheel guards and a self righter?
    The lifter will double as a self righter. I'll add some wheel guards if there's enough weight left over, but it's fairly low priority at this point since I'm only doing non-spinner events.

UPDATE

Progress is going great with the new chassis. Although I've just spent a couple of hours cutting out the eye holes with a hacksaw and a dremel, and now there's a coating of fine black dust on everything in the vicinity, I think it was worth it to get one step closer to giving the bot some personality (see below). Hopefully the chaps at work can get me the lifting forks milled in the next couple of weeks, and then the rest of the machine can just fly together!

On a side note, I've decided that to give me some extra speed, I'm going to upgrade from a 12v NiMH to a 4s Lipo if I can get the money together in time (Just so long as I can protect it adequately, I don't want the chassis to end up turning into a warm puddle on the arena floor).

WP_20170121_18_32_14_Pro.jpg

Register To Comment