Register To Comment

Thread: Inertia B2

After having a few issues with the original Inertia B I dedcided it was time for a rebuild and after seeing a few of the new horizontal spinners being built I wanted something which may have a slighter better chance against them.

I based the new one on a disc I originally had made for Soundwave, 110mm diameter, 10mm thick and just under 500g. Shown here with the original Soundwave disc for scale

With the smaller disc I was able to make the whole machine more compact. To help even more I ditched the 25mm pololu motors in favour of 4, 30:1 ant motors with some nice printed mounts and wheels. This meant that I could fit everything into a chassis 25mm high. The chassis was designed to be laser cut from steel as on the previous version with slots and tabs to make sure everything lined up when welding. A week later the pieces turned up which looked like this.

And the original Inertia B for comparison. Really highlights how compact the new one is. Also showing the brushless mount

Next up was the welding which was a pretty easy job and was done in a couple of hours. A couple of temporary Aluminium covers were cut for the first event. Which will be replaced later on without any of the insides fitted this is how it looked.

The wiring was a little tricky due to the tight space but it all fitted quite nicely in the end. The pulleys for the motor and disc were once again 3d printed as they have held up really well on Soundwave. With everything fitted it is well within weight at just 1.22kg so the top panels will be swapped with some 1.6mm titanium along with a cover for the motor. Will also add some extra pieces around the front and sides if it needs it.

Yesterday it had the first proper spin up test which seemed to go really well. Threw the test box a good distance and took some nice lumps out of it. Video here.

And some of the damage

I'm very pleased with the way this one works. It's going along to the event on the 30th alongside Soundwave for some arena testing before it goes to Stevenage and the UK Champs later in the year.

Thanks, it's a 28mm NTM, got it in a sale so it only cost a fiver

Register To Comment