Register To Comment
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie/oldbie

Angle grinder gearboxes are convenient to fix wheels on to but they don't have enough gear reduction to be useful. If you use a cordless angle grinder motor or any typical small motor that other builders use, the wheels will be going far too fast. That's why so many people use cordless drill motors as they have the right amount of gear reduction built in.

When the guys are asking what grade of stainless, they mean which alloy. There are only two common stainless alloys available in thin sheets - 304 and 316. For armour, there really isn't much between them - they are both relatively soft and low strength compared to other steels. Here is a comparison chart of stainless steel properties: http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-stainless-steel/=ycr5gp. The steel that would make good armour is towards the bottom of the table and is insanely expensive.

Nick, I'm getting nervous when you use the therm : "insanely expensive".

Your machines are build from slabs of of high grade titanium. I call that unobtanium level for our budget....

LOL I am 'saving' money by using titanium rather than high-grade stainless. I looked into making my own bushcraft knife and while a reasonably tough steel like 440C was a bit cheaper than Ti, anything better was double or triple the cost. IE a strip of 440C 3.5mm x 75 x 900 was $115, so building an entire frame would be pricey and still not as tough as Hardox or an equivalent wear steel.

There is a Sandvik stainless called 12C27 that might be cheaper in Europe and the UK; its similar to 440C so its fairly tough and can be hardened. I hear that it is manufactured in sheets, so you might be able to get it cut-to-size or have parts water-jetted.

My pick for the 'best' stainless steel for a bot is Damasteel. It is made like damacus steel and looks like this:

Its so pretty that nobody would want to hit your bot and spoil the pattern

I no my drawing wasn't to scale but you get the deign idea.

There going to be none moving claws so I can ram the robot inside my claw`s so will need powerfull drive motors. I'm also thinking of have the spinner weapon at the back of the bot

Its a main`s power angle grinder at 800w. That will be powered by the two drive wheels. And the spinner weapon will be powered by a 9inc angle grinder at 1000+w

I don`t no what grade of the stainless steel is all I no its very tuff and spinners will have trouble ripping through it. Will take a few attempts to get through.(But hay I hope they don't get a chance to)

Go to an event before buying anything / tearing up any power tools. You have much to learn and I'm not saying that to be negative, it's a genuine observation.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    Go to an event before buying anything / tearing up any power tools. You have much to learn and I'm not saying that to be negative, it's a genuine observation.

I wont be buying anything only the electrics side of things

I'm not sure how much clearer I can be

DON'T BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN TO AN EVENT

"Its a main`s power angle grinder at 800w. "

You do know that a 240V AC mains motor will never work on battery power, right?

Please listen to all these builders, they have been doing this for years and know what does and does not work. You are making very basic mistakes and keep making them despite being told what to look for and do.

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.G View Post
    I don`t no what grade of the stainless steel is all I no its very tuff and spinners will have trouble ripping through it. Will take a few attempts to get through.(But hay I hope they don't get a chance to)
    I can tell you now that unless you've been getting some insanely expensive grade of stainless the spinners WILL laugh at it. They deal some serisouly huge amounts of damage. Forget what you know from the Tv show. That's old hat.

I am listing and im also learning. New things.

Register To Comment