Register To Comment
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie/oldbie

1000w. In a heavy.
    To compare. Nebelwerfer2. our 6kg raptor starts the 1 kg spinning bar with 85A @ 12v
    Valkiri3, our 13,6kg feather draws 120A @ 22v to start the 4kg disk.

And again, you may build a heavy spinner. But there is nowhere to compete it. Heavyweight spinners cannot run in the the UK currently. I strongly advise reading some heavyweight build threads and getting along to an event to find out how these robots function first.

Gloucesters is the closet to me. And also I`ve just lost my job But I've started up my garden machinery business. Witch is slowly taking off

The bonus of have a workshop on a farm is that the farmer bring all sorts back to the yard. Yesterday he bran back an old treadmill. So going to ask him if I can strip out the motor witch is 1100w and all the gubbings

I dont mean to be to personal, but if youve just lost your job thats really another reason to start at featherweights.

Considering you dont know electronic components, you will be spending possibly thousands of pounds in building a heavyweight robot - the batteries and speed controllers themselves will be hundreds of pounds, and you could easily build a complete featherweight for the same cost.

Thats additional to the many reasons already stated for building a feather, so honestly - come to Robot Wars and enjoy yourself, however do look more closely at the featherweights if your seriously interested in joining the sport. Itll be a much better learning curve for you.

James you are keen which is good, but you aren't listening the advice on this thread. If you actually read the posts everyone is telling you the same things,

- You will not be able to compete with a heavyweight spinner, don't bother putting one together
    - Get along to an event before you do anything else
    - Most of the parts you are describing will not work or won't be useful and will likely cost you more money in the long run as you have to buy things twice

It's good to be keen but there is no point in continuing with the thread if you won't listen to the advice given.

I am listing guys/girls. I just don't like starting small that's all. Never have never will. Thank you for the advice. I really do appreciate it. so thank you

I got the motor out of the treadmill. Its a2088wat and pulls at 1.8hp.
    Its handy to have

Build a totally dominating featherweight and be the biggest fish in a small pond. If you are up for a challenge, its harder than you think!

I would say that the challenge of being competitive in the featherweight (full combat) class is far greater than that in today's heavies. Featherweights are nuts.

I compete in both Heavyweights and Featherweights. Ive also been in finals for competitions in both weight classes, so i can tell you truly how hard it was to get to that stage.

If you want a challenge more than anything else, then definitely enter the featherweight world championships. The World championships is the hardest robotic combat competition you could hope to win.

To compare, in Battlebots if you win 4 fights youve won the competition - in the Featherweights world championships that just means your through round 1 (and its not 1v1 battles to get to that stage).

Also, even if you have a motor - itd be far cheaper to buy featherweight batteries, motors and ESCs for the price youd pay just to get that motor running inside a heavyweight (plus youd need a 2nd motor).

Anyway, watch the video below. If you think you can beat them - theres no doubt youd have to design one of the best all round robots in the world.

Last edited by Garfie489; 1st August 2015 at 14:18.

Register To Comment