Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting equipment

Vertical bandsaw.

But HDPE in the bedroom, fun garantied.

I use a table saw to cut long straight lines in HDPE, but I also use the jigsaw for that.
    Just clamp a long piece of wood on the HDPE.

There is also a bandsaw in my workplace but I only use that one for the smaller bits.

If it's good for cutting wood, it's good for HDPE. I wouldn't bother with a scroll saw unless you want to do a lot of curves. Bandsaw could be useful but it will only be good for smaller pieces. Table saw is another option or even circular saw.

What Gary said ^ Anything that you can use with wood with work with HDPE. But don't try and rush it with the thicker stuff because you'll burn your tools out.

Hysteria's shell was cut using a tablesaw for the thin stuff (12mm) and a jigsaw for the thicker stuff. (15mm & 12mm) Drills with go through fine but they will struggle to get initial purchase on the surface, a steady hand will help you there or use a scriber or a knife to mark a dent for the drill bit to fall into. Any if any channelling is needed then a router will work fine.

All in all, just be careful and know your tools limitations and remember friction causes heat which will melt the plastic and gum up your blades if you're not too careful.

Oh and whatever you do, make sure you cut the git outside because it is an arse to clean up, it gets in your carpets, clothes, dinner, cats, everything. Best place to do it is in the house of someone you don't like.

Last edited by HereticBlue; 23rd July 2015 at 21:00.

In that case I would see if whatever you use has a discharge hole that you can hook up to a hoover. My circular saw has one and whilst it doesn't catch everything, it makes it a lot easier.

Edit - Or put plastic sheeting down. You can get a huge roll of the stuff you use for painting rooms for not all that much from B&Q. Should help if you can just ball it up and bin most of it.

When making Gabriel I found this saw the best for cutting HDPE, it's quick accurate and doesn't clog up! Gabriel is 20mm thick I have cut Polycarbonate with it as well works very well.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Black-&...FSXJtAodeVMKRA
    Last edited by craig_colliass; 24th July 2015 at 08:20.

Register To Comment