Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To the Future

Not much happening on the forum so I thought I would put out some topics for people to think on about the Robotics sport and its future.

Hows the current shows are for the Roboteers , the EO’s and the audience.

If TV wants to do something with Robots in the UK, what are our feelings about how that might change the robot scene?

The idea is for positive feedback and constructive criticism not for grinding old axes but looking forward to the future.

What would you like to be done differently, how can you and I make that happen, remember it is not just the Eos or the FRA that has to do stuff, but we have our part to play too.

It seems I’m flogging a dead horse with this but here goes nothing.

What I want from a TV show if I had the chance to compete in something like this.

Autonomy, I would like Team Saint to be considered as an independent team competing in a sport, rather than a team assembled for the purposes of producing a TV program for a production company. This autonomy would include us holding all rights to our own creations. This is the way things are now and I would not like to see this change, naturally anyone wanting to produce a program would not like to have restrictions regarding this, if that would impede their ability to sell their product (the TV program) nor would I. The contract I signed with Robot Wars is the type of thing I’m talking about. They have the rights to use the robots in their shows and for advertising and promotion purposes. I agree with that but I own the robot!

I would like to see the judging rules complied with at all times, even if it means the producers favourite robot doesn’t make it passed the first round.

House robots I’m not a big fan, I think robots are now exciting enough for them not to be an influence in the outcome of fights. Arena Hazards Oh yes I like the types used in the USA.

Weapon rule, not fussed I think it depends on the robot. There are boring robots with weapons too.

The arena type, I have many different ideas on this, My favourite one is “The Bunker” think of a disused underground car park, the robots are run in this space and the Roboteers have a Polycarbonate bunker in the middle they control the robots all around them.

Remote cameras and lighting so the production team are kept away and safe.

Hazards could be left in the arena or “tools” the robots could use to enhance their attacks.

I think the environment should be significantly different to that we have seen so far. Lets make it street.

This should get some response!!

With modern camera's and drones any reasonably hard surface can be used as an arena and getting the machines filmed.

Battling 'on location' is something that I rather like the idea of. Inside Battersea Power station for instance, or inside an emptied Robochallenge workshop; something that wasn't designed as an arena specifically but has all the space, strength and a certain level of randomness to it that would create some interesting fighting.

I am also of a mindset to ditch the House Robots and come up with an arena that gives a more balanced or even changing set of challenges. The very first RW arena in 1994 had sliding barriers at either end, imagine that now so you can to robots over them but you have to time your flip and be able to get your opponent in the right position at the right time to do it. I like the idea of the Pins from BB, so all those spinners have something hard and unmoving to ricochet off.

Cluster-Bot rules need changing really, so you have to kill 67% of the robot by weight to win. That way double or triple clusters will have a good chance, even if they might end up like that Warrior Clan minibot :-P

I also think, just like in BB, competitors should be allowed flame throwers. They may not do much 90% of the time, but they look good and can present problems under the right conditions.

Finally... I think that Battlebots and, for the sake of simplicity, Robotwars aught to allow robots to enter each others events, none of this being locked to one event or another. Having the Trophy come under threat from 'foreigners' and having 4 on 4 US vs UK annihilators... insanity would ensue! And being able to see contrasting design styles and philosophies play against each other would be a really interesting dynamic (Notice how all the US bots have one build style and the Euro bots have another)

Some interesting comments keep them coming, please resist discounting ideas based on practicality as this may stop someone with the golden idea sharing it here, I can guarantee the Eos will be watching this thread and reading every word, so the ideas and comments are helpful to the future of the robot building community in the UK.

I think the urban type setting is one of the most cost effective formats as we just have to find some industrial buildings set for demolition. And the robots on the circuit today can operate with little or no modification.

But there are others as well. Night fights, all terrain fights, First person video and many more,

I like the idea of flames too, just imagine Saint or Gabriel with the sword on fire!

Turning to the live shows
    These are done by:
    Robot Wars
    Robots Live
    RoboChallange

All the people, in all three I consider to be good friends, I know they would appreciate feedback about how there shows are run and the show format, remember you aren’t likely to get Champagne and a full cheese board at the end of each show! ……………gutted!

Things to consider
    Venues, pit facilities, show times, show format, number of fights, VIP tours, accommodation and anything else.
    Remember there are limitations on what is practical and cost effective, but all sincerely held views are valid.

You weren't there for the FW Champs awarding, Craig. We all got a drop of champagne whether we wanted it or not.

Register To Comment