Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To the Future

Is it bad that sportsman beetleweights are being touted as a possibility already? I remember a few folk having the idea of building more interesting designs in beetleweights as, with it being a new class, it would take a while to find out what works best and that would allow creative designs to flourish a little, but seems we've reached the high-power spinner v armoured box scenario already. Says me who'll be competing with two BW spinners at the Scottish Kinematic event

The beetles just need an arena that favours all/more weapon types. Like a pit, an oota area and perhaps a drop-off.

Thanks for the input

To answer some points raised.

Champagne glad everyone got some at the feather champs hope it was chilled, next time come with some flutes.

Advice on building robots or getting spares. Good point but I think the FRA should be the ones providing an accessible platform for this a sort of robot building Wikipedia. Are there any volunteers?

The spinners are too spinney, and the flippers are too flippy and the boxes are too well boxy, has been discussed on other threads! The general consensus is the environment needs to change, but the ones that have the advantage with the status quo tend to oppose this, which proves the saying everything is fair in love and robot wars.

For instance.
    John did suggest the idea of uneven floors; this was to stop the relentless march of the tin snail flippers. And was buried under adverse comments about this, so had to retract this idea before it was even tried.

Beetle weights are run by Stu with Kinimatic events. Try discussing this with him if it makes the event better for the punters I’m sure he would listen, and then it may filter down to the other weights. Be the trail blazers on this. (But on another thread, please)

Has anyone got any ideas for a Robot Wars type TV program?

We have the Back street type format, bunker style.

How about Clan Wars, there are groups of robot teams with say 5 or 6 robots, come together to a big battle scene,
    They could be grouped by geographic area, robot type or just friend groups.

The format could be anything from last man standing to flag capture or similar goal.
    Terrain could be old industrial building with flat floors to anything outside.

I did like the idea of a Crystal Maze type game show, with different themed areas, robots having to complete trials to win their way into a final fight.

Oh and a final that is artificial snowstorm.

Some might argue that isn't in line with the sport. I'd like to counter argue we're doing the sport bit anyway and what we really need is the cash not fleeting TV appearances.

Register To Comment