Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pp3d

New build thread for a potential new machine. I have no idea if I will have the time and cash to get it built but we will see (weddings are expensive!). PP3D is planned to be a heavyweight spinner using mainly parts that have been sitting around gathering dust occasionally dusted off when I've moved house. Stats and mock up picture below.

- 31kg, 20mm thick hardox disc. 700mm from tip to tip. Same disc that I had made for swarm years ago and has never actually spun up. There were a number of design flaws in that machine that i'm hoping to learn from. Disc shaft will be very large diameter between two taper bearings to take vertical and horizontal loads. The disc will skim just above the ground, perhaps 10mm or so.

- Powering the disc will be one of the two eteks I have. The other being a spare. These will be controlled by a solenoid relay. Nice big, beefy and simple. Probably look at using V-belts to connect the two. Give a bit of slippage in the system to buffer damage to the eteks from sharp stops. Plus they are dirt cheap

- Currently looking at iskras for drive as I have a couple sitting around. Also have a couple of bosch 750s from SMIDSY kicking around but we will see if those get used or not. The iskras are nicer as they have a smaller body and are a whole kilo lighter but either solution will require a gearbox to be made. As ever timing and cost will need to be taken into account. Wheels are currently mocked as some old ones from storm 1 that I got a hold of a number of years ago. Don't know if I'll use them or not. Would prefer something pneumatic to help absorb some of the loading the machine would see.

- Batteries will likely be whatever lipos I fancy using / can afford to run.

- Drive will be controlled by a big vantec. One spare sitting there as well.

- Armour, mixture of hardox and titanium.

mock up.jpg

In terms of the appearance of the robot I want to try and make it look like a steampunk style machine so I may be experimenting with copper and bronze plating and including some wooden elements as well.

edit - I guess the forum is setup to stop all caps in the titles

Thanks for the banana in shot, I'd have been lost without it.

Looks very promising.

Quick update. Found the perfect material for the disc shaft. Large diameter billet of titanium. Picture below. No banana for scale I'm afraid. Weighs a heck of a lot but should be plenty strong to take the hits.

Also found some nice looking pneumatic wheels that I think I'll use in place of the solid ali ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by typhoon_driver; 25th June 2015 at 19:39.

I'll just get to making them myself. Will require a bit of time on the mill (and a good bit of time learning) but nothing I can't turn my hand to with a bit of practice.

Which pneumatic wheels have you found? That billet is a beastí ½í¸€

So made a bit of progress, thought it was time to update the build diary. Here's the finished robot and the first spin up.

Hmm, I see potential in this machine.

Are you mad standing so close to that spinning blade? You could hurt yourself.

Register To Comment