Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current standard heavyweight tech

Good point but then again a single page story in one of the local papers would cost north of £5k (something I have looked into). Whether the logo appears on the machine or not, I just need a hook for various news outlets to want to run the story. Sadly marketing is rarely cheap.

If the machine is called PP3D or something similar then that's easy

Good luck Gary looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Vantec speed controllers are good units, and Etek are good motors too.
    Don't forget a build thread here.

Ray Billings is on Facebook and he's always damn helpful so it might be worth talking to him. Mind I think he's the only one mad enough to spend 4 grand each on Last Rites weapon motors!

4 grand on each weapon motor? He uses Eteks at the moment at around $350 a piece.
    Last rites/Tombstone is a great machine but technology wise hasn't moved on a lot. It's the reliability of it that makes it work well. It ha an etek on the bar, something like 90-100 A123 cells to power it and and the standard NPC motors and gearboxes bolted straight into a box section frame (he machines one part of the NPC gearbox himself out of aluminium billet rather than using the cast ones for shock purposes.

It was over six months when I last spoke to him, I'll have to sieve through my Facebook messages. I think at the time he was running a Perm at 58v thereabouts.

The Perm motors are 'only' $1,300 unless you are talking about an even larger model than the PMG132. I can't remember if there was ever a Perm in Last Rites but there was definitely some talk about how badly the motor performed in a US heavy; apparently the windings are easily damaged by impact shocks.

Personally, I'd like to see how the brushless Mars motor performs in a heavy; the only time I saw Last Rites up close, Ray was sitting on it and cursing all the broken Etek brushes .

Someone at BB used a brushless Etek and I don't think it had any issues. The mini etek on RMP looks a very good replacement too, it appears power is very similar. We put brushless in warhead that worked well, although not particularly cheap. And there are other brushless motors that should theoretically work will on the weapon. Kane has played around with brushless drive but not sure how much testing he's done with it.

The brushless drive that Kane had in Mini-Moth was awesome! If he has scaled it up to larger classes successfully, that would be a huge advance in drive technology.

BTW: If you want to know more about Eteks, ask Glen Rose. His day job is building military robots driven by a pair of Eteks - I am totally jealous!

He has made a HW brushless drive recently, although it's worth asking Kane for any details or how well he got it to work. I haven't seen it running yet but it does apparently.

Register To Comment