Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS775's 18V

At the champs I heard someone was trying out some 775's they had bought in Europe to see if we could find a more local source than BaneBots in the US.
    Any news on how this is panning out or if its happening at all? I am in need of some 775's and if I can wait to save me ordering them from the US.

Talk to Tim, nice little motors, a lot cheaper, only difference is the front is slightly bigger so you have to bore out the banebots casing- but its not really a big job.

Tim Bouwens?

Yup. Carbotanium-man

Given that a new RS775 18V motor from Banebots with postage and import can set you back well over £15 a motor, I figured I would test out 2 alternatives available from Pollin.de.

There were several 775 size motors on Pollin of various voltages, with 2 distinct price brackets. One group of 3 motors went for €3.95 each, the JOHNSON TC785LG/ES, HC783LG/ES and HC785LP/ES. However, the motors have much lower maximum voltages; 7.2v, 9.6v and 12v, with similar Kv ratings. If you were looking for a direct replacement then only one gets close is the 12V TC785LG/ES.

The other priced motor costs nearly as much as a Banebots motor but had spec's to match, the DAYPOWER 70045. At €14.95, dropping to €12.95 when you order 3 or more, these motors go up to 20v, have similar maximum speeds at 18v and near identical body dimensions, with the Daypower actually being slightly shorter with a slightly larger can.

Both the Johnson and Daypower have 5mm shafts, matching the Banebots 775, and the same mounting geometry. Both the Daypower and Johnson actually looks to have a better front end with longer threads than the Banebots so they may be more resistant to bending.

There is only one problem when it comes to mounting, the diameter of the front bearing housing on both the Johnson and Daypower are slightly larger than the Banebots; 17.4mm rather than 17.3. This means the motor mounting plate needs a little skim to make the motors fit, or I guess you could file it if you were desperate.

On stats alone, the Daypower looks a good direct alternative to the Banebots and if you order at least 3 it makes it £9.46 per motor, ex PnP, which is a little less than the Banebots +5 order cost of £10.28. However if the Johnson motor can perform reasonably then for just £3.45 a motor it would be an ideal motor for some machines. Those who are already set up to use the top end 775's would struggle but if you are building a new bot then it may be a no brainer.

There is also a Johnson Racing motor for €8 which wasn't in stock when I ordered but is now available. This gets very close to the Daypower stat wise and at just over half the cost may be a better cost to performance option.

Here are the links to the parts and searches-

Daypower 775: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/ODI0OTg...WER_70045.html

12V Johnson: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NDk0OTg...C785LP_ES.html

Johnson 12T Racing: http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NDI0OTg...4_15_6_V_.html

Johnson search: http://www.pollin.de/shop/suchergebn...hnson&fs=10000

My plan is to put both the Johnsons and Daypower motors in Conker 3 and take them for a test drive. I am expecting the Johnson to be too slow, but I will order a pair or the 12T Johnsons and test those too. The Daypower will probably be perfect but if the 12T's are good enough I may well settle for those and save the money.

I am likely to have a solution to this problem in the not too distant future. I can't say any more than that for now.

Quote Originally Posted by shakesc View Post
    How do you think the Traxxas Titan's stack up?
    They are not cheap but they are marketed as a 775 upgrade

https://traxxas.com/products/parts/motors/titan775
    A pair of regular 775's is more than enough for most robots. I can't see it being worth almost 3 times the cost. Overpriced IMO. They now their market. If you have enough for a RC car that needs that then you don't care if it costs $40.

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    In terms of 540, 550 and speed 600, 775, speed 900 etc. What measurement does the number signify? Like length, diameter, windings etc? I only ask this as my 540 buggy motor and 550 drill motors look nearly identical (haven't scientifically measured lol).
    No idea. Its not Watts, diameter, length, speed or torque. Someone will know but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    I am likely to have a solution to this problem in the not too distant future. I can't say any more than that for now.
    Now you have said that there are only a few possibilities. I hope the future is not to distant.
    Last edited by Eventorizon; 30th April 2015 at 21:20.

How would regular 775's stack up to Dewalts in a 2 motor 4 wheel drive setup?

Register To Comment