Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Team Riptide: Hardwired and other builds

Also, whilst I'm at it

Fhqwhgads gets slightly legit

So, I'm upgrading Fhqwhgads almost completely for some reason, it's now getting 5mm HDPE as a chassis, and these for drive http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...er_2400kv.html on a 6:1 ratio single stage planetary gearbox (first stage of a drill). Probably about a 70mm-ish wheel on those, and 3s for a theoretical top speed of 40mph, which seems about right for a beetle.

In all seriousness it's idiotic, but I have the motors lying about and they're not quite powerful for a featherweight I think, so why not! Also keeps in with the tradition (?) of mostly making Fhqwhgads out of bits lying about in my shed. Just need to find a couple of magnets now (which I'm fairly sure I have somewhere) and should be sorted. Will probably need a gyro as well, but I'll get to that eventually!

Overdrive

Overdrive last year was a pretty decent machine I think, hampered by a few last minute construction issues because everyone knows the optimum time for robot building is <48 hours before the thing's supposed to fight. I was going to sell the parts on and start afresh, however issues with postage and not being able to get them to where they needed to go, I've decided to keep and revamp Overdrive and give it another shot at the title.

So, first port of call was un-superquickbuilding the thing. Don't get me wrong, it worked but I could see where the refinements and improvements needed to be made (more on that another time) but the core of it is that it's going to now run (hopefully) 4wd from a pair of Ranglebox Saturn-16s and 775 motors. Oh and some nice lasercut panels.

These are the ones that I had lasercut originally, then forgot bolts exist. The drum therefore was about 10mm too wide to actually fit the panels... To remedy that, countersunk bolts in the disc may be the best option. It'd also look pretty nice too I think, along with paint that isn't orange.

Here's the slightly reworked Cad

Not a whole lot different on the outside, the back end is angled to stop it getting stuck and will probably try doing something to the sides too but that's about it. Don't think I ever posted the cad in full however for Mk1, so there you go!

Another interesting thing here too -

Seems like an axe fits surprisingly well aesthetically, and I'd probably be able to get the reduction in. Not an immediate focus but wouldn't need much modification at all to get an axe on it for non-spinner events and/or whiteboards...

Mmm, tasty! The only problem I can see with that is maybe inverted driving? Other than that, the design looks great.

Thanks! The inverted driving is a big 'maybe' - according to the Cad it should do it, but I'm hoping that the disc will help knock it over if its got enough torque.

Or just hope it doesn't get flipped haha!

I figured it might drive inverted but its hard to tell from the CAD angle. Some things I have noticed from other vertical disks: most disks can self-right if the disk is already spinning when it gets inverted. Few disks can self-right if the disk is stopped - start-up torque isn't the best feature of brushless motors. Disks with surrounds (thinking of the VD series of bots) almost always self-right.

How about adding a pair of HDPE extensions to the top of the disk support arms? I think that with some experimenting you will find a hight where the motor can get the disk up to speed and where the disk has enough engagement with the floor to pop Overdrive back on its wheels. The extensions would weigh very little so its well worth trying.

Well, the wheels do touch the ground but I'm willing to bet that it won't be particularly nippy around the arena upside down... I might have a try with something like that, it sounds an interesting idea so might be worth a couple of experiments at least!

My main plan is to flat out hope that I don't get flipped upside down (K2 style) but might be worth a try. Probably a few tweaks to be made to the design too, slightly worried about the potential for getting stuck on the boxy sides but with any luck could be solved relatively simply. And stylishly haha!

Riptide Goes to Scotland, gets rekt
    It'd be funny if it weren't so true...

Beetles

That above synopsis pretty much tells you all you need to know haha. Alasdair/Suvv's video here:

Fhqwhgads once again turned up unfinished and a last minute rush to get the thing working meant it wasn't in 100% shape, as if it ever was. Was a brand new version of it, with 20mm HDPE on the front and was alarmingly not that over-armoured... Lynx and Spin Cycle were both pushing between 8 and 15mm gouges on each hit, roughly, which is pretty insane.

Managed to win a fight though, against Bonecrusher (which has been conveniently omitted from the above video... ) though in all seriousness Bonecrusher should have had that one by all accounts. I just fell lucky that he drove into the pit!

Working on a new horizontal spinner for the next event/champs, called Zodiac. Basic horizontal spinner, nothing fancy but should hopefully be reliable is what I'm hoping. Think Newton/Spin Cycle but less ambitious and probably not as good hah.

Other things

New featherweight in the works, Zen - horizontal spinner using one of those discs that seem to be everywhere - the 300mm ones like Inertia and Combustion both use. Basically a FW version of Zodiac, similarly unambitious horizontal but more designed for reliability than anything else. Will be a backup in case Overdrive underdrives again. Probably an SK3 or NTM 5060 motor, 6s, disc speed aiming for about 6-7000 there abouts, nothing extreme but fun all the same!

Just a quick update whilst I'm still doing the event post mortem, FHQWHGADS is now the UK Beetleweight Champion! Thanks to everyone who helped on the day as well as Stu and the team for making it such an awesome event. Lots of fun, and I actually did well for once, with the help of Rory of course! Congrats to Jamie for 2nd with Flatulence, Luke for 3rd with Fat Lip and PJ for 4th with Spinza!

Few videos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lwh81Al6hYPps4

Congrats on the well deserved win!

Register To Comment