Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RC Valve Controller Development

Upgraded the firmware to make it useable and added some heatshrink. It's currently set up so one channel is on when the stick is up, the other is on when the stick is down, and both are off in the middle. I'll be bringing it a long to Portsmouth on Sunday, so if anyone there has a Burket they can let me test it with (or better yet, a robot to stick it in!), then that'd be awesome

Ed Wallace would have tested that at burgess hill as he needed one ! By farnell do you mean cpc farnell ? As if you do a web order it's free delivery after £10.

Would you be able to make this controller with centre off, up will be on and the down could be a timed on switch adjustable between 0.1 seconds and 1 second ?

... Could've sworn it was £20... Maybe I'm getting RS and Farnell mixed up. Either way, I now have a prototype valve controller and parts for 6 more :L
    (EDIT: Farnell is £20 for free shipping, CPC is only £10... might have to start looking at CPC again..)

And yeah, would be a fairly small firmware change to make a timed switch, though to make it adjustable could be more of a pain :L
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 24th April 2015 at 23:08.

It would have to be adjustable as it would open my valve just enough for a self right flip.... And I think that's around 0.25 second press of my tx button !

I mean, it's perfectly doable, but would require a different microcontroller that can take an analog input from a potentiometer. The prototype will just be running the basic code for the time being, but I'll look into adding adjustments when I get hold of some new chips.

On a similar note, I am also looking into developing a board that converts a lifter into a giant servo. It would just involve fitting the board between the Rx and the lifter ESC and then attaching a potentiometer to the lifting arm or whatever it is you're controlling to provide servo like control. It would also have another potentiometer on the board to allow it to be tuned to the setup being used. Is there anything like this already available? I had a quick look and couldn't see anything..

I'm thinking of designing a few different types of these little boards, which I can then send off on one production print run. Currently got the valve controllers, and the servo adapter... any other suggestions? I've been asked to do a mixer that failsafes correctly before, but I think those are already available...

Got asked to make some single channel ones, and so was going to build them on veroboard like the first one, however I realised that I could re-purpose my N2HV ESC boards to build the valve controllers on:

11185507_10152800207446845_1507470453_n.jpg
    11195254_10152800207581845_1116491976_n.jpg

Sadly I forgot to take the prototype board at the weekend so couldn't test it (Maelstrom needed one as well so could have got some proper battle testing ), So I still don't know if these will actually fire a Burket, but theory says they should.

In other news, I've got a rough draft of the servo control code working; just waiting on some better chips. If these work well it'll hopefully make the flappy lifters like on Tormenter 3 properly controllable :L

I would be very interested in servo-style converter boards. Am I right in thinking that they would have a similar effect on claw mechanisms, so long as the potentiometer is mounted to a point of rotation?

Yeah, they'd work fine for that assuming you fitted the potentiometer correctly.

Register To Comment