Register To Comment

Thread: Pre-champs checks

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check a couple of things before the weekend.

Locking bars for electric actuator weapons - I remember back in 2009 (I think), it was decided that arms or claws powered by electric actuators didn't need a locking bar as it was deemed 'locked' when the link was removed. Is this still the case?

One driver, one robot - are we still allowed to operate the weapon of another robot in addition to driving our own robot?

G-clamps as locking bars on spinners - there was talk last year that these would be banned in 2015. Has that gone ahead? Won't be using mine this year regardless, but just curious.

One-wheel immobility - there was also talk that robots that only have one wheel drive going into a battle would be subject to the 10-second immobility countdown as soon as the fight started. Don't agree with it personally, but is that going to be the case at the champs? And if drumbots/vertical spinners can use their gyro dances to move across the arena on one wheel, will they still be deemed mobile?

Some of these points may have been due to be covered in the drivers' briefing on Thursday, but it would be good to know beforehand where possible.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    One-wheel immobility - there was also talk that robots that only have one wheel drive going into a battle would be subject to the 10-second immobility countdown as soon as the fight started. Don't agree with it personally, but is that going to be the case at the champs? And if drumbots/vertical spinners can use their gyro dances to move across the arena on one wheel, will they still be deemed mobile?
    This is a rule that really should be looked at. You can be plenty mobile with a single powered wheel.

for example:
    http://tinyurl.com/lq34789
    Last edited by MikeNCR; 7th April 2015 at 00:55.

No G-clamp locks??? I am using a Kant-twist clamp that closes around the weapon and cannot be dislodged unless the clamp is smashed in half. Since the robots are already at the NEC, I don't have any other options.

I did ask Grant about locking bars at a recent event, the rules this year are that the locking mechanism must be removed without touching the weapon.

Thanks, I can just put the clamp on the frame instead of the beater - too easy!

Don't worry Nick, I don't think anyone's going to ban you from competing because of it. Would be a bit cruel considering the distance you've travelled. Sounds like an easy enough alteration for you anyway.

I've never heard anything official on it, hence why I wanted to check. But it's easy enough for the like of drums to copy Mouldy (quelle surprise ) and just jam a bit of MDF or something between the weapon and bulkhead.

I think a point one way or the other should be made by the judges before the comp starts, on the one wheel issue. We all know each design is different, the rules used to state you must be able to take the attack to your opponent or you are classed as immobilised, I think that was the thinking behind last years lap of the pit scenario.

Problem is it's partly subjective, wether someone is moving fine or not. I think that's where most upset comes from.

I'd also like to know about locking bars on actuator weapons?

My opinion?
    If you can't engage in battle (whether that's because you're flipped, in the pit, OOTA, only have one wheel drive) then you're immobile.
    If you can keep the fight coming despite any of those things (ie. you can effectively gyro dance) then that person loses points on damage (hell, they lost half their drive!) the opponent gains points on aggression and the fight continues.

I think perhaps a minimum speed rule, make it across the arena (longest distance) in 30 seconds. If you can't traverse the arena in 1/6th of the total time of the fight then you are not in the fight anyway.
    By having a set distance and time you can have black and white decisions, at the end of the fight if you contest the decision of the judges on immobility. You can attempt to complete this test if you pass your not immobile, if you fail you are.
    Giro movement, if your weapon gives you this option good on you. if you pass the test you are mobile.

Register To Comment