Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Project

Hi all,

I'm about to start teaching a college class that we've based around building robots. I'm trying to get the absolute cheapest and simplest way of doing it, kind of based on the Rampaging Chariots robots and we'll be using their ESCs. So far i'm set on the motors, batteries and ESC but everything else is up for debate. Its been a while since I bought the cheapest TX/RX out there, I think it was a GiantCod one last time I got it, which I don't think GiantShark make anymore. Its cheaper to go MDF than plastic i'm sure, but is it worth the hassle of reinforcing etc. or just getting plastic? How are people attaching wheels to motors these days? I've been quite spoiled with a big supply of RC wheels still left over for my robots. These will most likely just be used for robotic games type events so no combat. Parts should be as "off the shelf" as possible because I most likely won't have time to make custom parts for 15-20 robots.

The less costly I can make these things the smaller I can make the groups working on each robot. Thats the idea anyway. Any ideas/suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

What drives? Drills I assume?

Yup, sorry should've mentioned that. The way they use the drill motors is essentially chopping them in half and screwing the motor and plastic drill casing down to the baseplate.

Diameter? 100mm? Just trying to get an idea. Might be able to help.

No specific diameter at the moment, needs to be bigger than a drill motor in its case lying on its side plus base plate, I measure the drills at around 50mm, so 100mm would probably do it. I think the Chariots use roughly 150mm wheels.

make wheels from wood?

The wheels themselves aren't too expensive so i'm not looking to make any real savings there, its attaching them to the robot that is the stumbling point. I think the wheels will come to around £8 per robot and with the time frame we have an off the shelf product would be far better, getting the time to do things like welding and the people to do them is expensive. Peter from the Chariots Guild is currently looking into manufacturing their solution to drill motor/wheel connections and making it available to colleges, but that may not be possible in the time frame that we have so was wondering what other solutions were out there. GiantShark gear looks good to me, very different to how it looked last time I bought one but if it does the same job it'll do nicely.

Register To Comment